• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

surging

Dear teachers,

Recently I read the NYT’s article “Oil Prices Raise Cost of Making Range of Goods” where I noted a sentence with a vague word.

Surging oil prices are beginning to cut into the profits of a wide range of American businesses, pushing many to raise prices and maneuver aggressively to offset the rising cost of merchandise made from petroleum.

Would you be kind enough tell me the proper meaning of the word in bold. On one hand “surge” = “to rise and move in a billowing or swelling manner” or “to roll or be tossed about on waves, as a boat” or “to increase suddenly. On the other handsurging” = “motion of a ship that alternately moves forward and aft, usually when moored”. Would you help me to make the proper choice?

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards.

V

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: surging

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Recently I read the NYT’s article “Oil Prices Raise Cost of Making Range of Goods” where I noted a sentence with a vague word.

Surging oil prices are beginning to cut into the profits of a wide range of American businesses, pushing many to raise prices and maneuver aggressively to offset the rising cost of merchandise made from petroleum.

Would you be kind enough tell me the proper meaning of the word in bold. On one hand “surge” = “to rise and move in a billowing or swelling manner” or “to roll or be tossed about on waves, as a boat” or “to increase suddenly. On the other handsurging” = “motion of a ship that alternately moves forward and aft, usually when moored”. Would you help me to make the proper choice?

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards.

V
    Surging-Sharp increase in price;sudden increase in price.
    Regards,
    rj1948.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: surging

Hi rj1948,

Thank you for your definite statement.