• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

lugging loudspeakers

Dear teachers,

Recently I read the NYT’s article “Bridge Construction Draws Crowds in Minneapolis” where I noted a sentence with unknown word namely “ lugging loudspeakers”.

Trailed by workers in hard hats lugging loudspeakers, Mr. Sanderson used a microphone to answer seemingly endless questions.

I know the meaning of “hard hat” namely “helmet” but I hear for first time the term “lugging loudspeaker”. Probably the workers are equiped like space-pilot with individual loudspeaker?

Would you be kind enough explain to me the meaning of the term in question?

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards.

V
    Last edited by vil; 12-Jun-2008 at 20:01.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Austria

Re: lugging loudspeakers

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Trailed by workers in hard hats lugging loudspeakers, Mr. Sanderson used a microphone to answer seemingly endless questions.
    you somehow attached "lugging" to loudspeaker , making it a compound noun which it isn't

"lugging" in this sentence refers to the workers in hard hats who followed Mr.Sanderson around, at the same time carrying (huge) loudspeakers with considerable difficulty because they(i.e.the loudspeakers) were heavy ....

to lug means to carry or pull something with effort or difficulty because it is heavy

hope this helps.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi beascarpetta,

Thank you for your superb explanation.

I know that “lug” (v) = “to move while supporting”: “bear”, “carry”, “convey”, “transport” but I was duped by both:
    on one hand by plural of “laudspeaker” and on the other hand by the engineering term “lug” = 1.in electric wiring, a device for terminating a wire or cable; the lug is bolted to an electric terminal. 2.a small projection attached to any member or component for use in handling, assembling, or installing that puts me in mind that every worker have a loudspeaker bolted on his helm.

Thank you again for your backing.

Regards.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 12-Jun-2008 at 20:30.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    that puts me in mind that every worker have a loudspeaker bolted on its helm.

Thank you again for your backing.
    Hi Vil. Yes, beascarpetta is right.

I'm just going to be really nit-picking and correct a couple of things in your last post.

"its helm"
    1 - In English the word is helmet. Helm is German (and possibly another language too?)

2 - We would normally not refer to a worker as 'it', even though the gender of the worker is not known, it would be usual to use the male pronoun, so:
    "…that makes me think that every worker has a loudspeaker bolted on to his helmet."

"backing"
    In this context I would use the word "help" or "advice".
    Backing would normally mean support, either in the sense of financial backing (money) or moral support (someone taking your side in an argument, perhaps).

Hope that's also helpful, it's not criticism!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi hotmetal,

Thank you for your helpful post. I agree with your justified notes.

1. “Helm”= “hard hat”. That is really funny. A well-known fact is that English language is Old-German language, but I went too far with my intolerable replacement of English “helmet” by German “helm”. Thank you for your affinity with propriety.

2. Unheard of impudence is indeed to take American workers for “cats”, “dogs” or “mice” using “its” instead of “his”. You foresaw with great understanding the cause for my terrifying confusion namely unknowing of the gender of the workers. The want of experience made a nice mess of it. Thank you again for your implacability.

3. I may be wrong using “backing” in this unconvincing way in my post. I know that “backing” = help and support, especially with money or influence.

For example:“With your backing, he should get the job” By analogy with this I have written the following ill-proportioned sentence: “With your backing I would learn English language”(I think If you will back up my statement/my wording etc.). Maybe I have to add an “up” to my original sentence? “Thank you for your backing up.”

back up = support or strengthen, as in The photos were backed up with heavy cardboard so they couldn't be bent, or
    I'll back up that statement of yours.

Thank you again more than I can say for your zealous diligence on purifying my clumsy posts.

Regards.

V.