Hope this helps - it is a VERY colloquial piece!I have a lot of questions about this short story. Could you please help me with this?
1) What does "The tonsorial recourse being without avail" mean? He ruffled his hair with his fingers, but it did not help him.
2) What does ""It`s a title," explained Baldy, "up among the picture-cards; but it don`t take no tricks." mean? Why do the author use double negative? It is referring to playing cards, where the court [picture cards] can carry a high value. The author is representing colloquial speech in which double negatives are quite common.
3) Why can he use passive sentence with the verb 'get'? It's a brand they've got for.... >> It is a brand they have for
O'Henry is using highly colloquial speech patterns, so you really cannot answer "Why can he use..." - that is the way many people speak.
4) What about "turn from the bottom of the deck." I know this means cheating, but I don't understand why? Can you explain this? Do you mean you do not understand why it means cheating? - Because when cards are dealt, they are dealt from the top of the pack. If you deal from the bottom, you have inserted specific cards on the bottom of the pack to enable someone to win or to force them to lose.
5) What does "you was some tallow. " mean? The meaning of "tallow" seems not to fit the context? You had importance.
6) Why does the author list all steps of killing cows for food "]on the hoof--dressed--dried--corned"? You stay with your wife through all vicissitudes if you want to become king.
7) I don't understand anything about "It`s a kind of short-card pseudonym. You come in sort of between Jack-high and a four-card flush." What does it mean? Winning poker hands: Poker probability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
8) What does "companeros" mean? Is it foreign word? Mexican Spanish - companions/friends
9) What does "don't amount to a knot in a stake" mean? Knot in a stake rope - stake ropes are what are used to identify a land claim. Knots were tied at specific intervals to indicate a length. HE is saying he is of no importance.
I tried using the Dictionary and Internet very hard but I can't understand them. This part of the short story has taken me several days, and it seems that I will need more time to completely understand it.
Student or Learner