• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Tipped off

"They told me that an impression about the applicant is made within the first 30 seconds of the interview. I thought it was a little bit extreme, but that's what they state. They also told me how to express my body language, how to seat and accommodate on the chair. They also tipped me off on how to shake hands and hold things like my cellphone, my pen and my briefcase. As you can see, one needs to be really well prepared in order to have a good interview."

please, is this text ok?
    thanks.

Re: Tipped off

Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    "They told me that an impression about the applicant is made within the first 30 seconds of the interview. I thought it was a little bit extreme, but that's what they state. They also told me how to express my body language, how to seat and accommodate on the chair. They also tipped me off on how to shake hands and hold things like my cellphone, my pen and my briefcase. As you can see, one needs to be really well prepared in order to have a good interview."

please, is this text ok?
    thanks.

...how to sit down and be comfortable on the chair...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

thanks.
    as to "tipped off", is it appropriate in this context?
    thanks.

"They told me that an impression about the applicant is made within the first 30 seconds of the interview. I thought it was a little bit extreme, but that's what they state. They also told me how to express my body language, how to [seat] sit and accommodate on the chair.

'accommodate' doesn't seem to fit in this context, JC.

They also tipped me off on how to shake hands and hold things like my cellphone, my pen and my briefcase. As you can see, one needs to be really well prepared in order to have a good interview."

I haven't heard 'tip off' used with this meaning, for this type of situation.

please, is this text ok?
    thanks.
    #

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

hi,
    thanks.
    after a little research I also concluded that "tip off" was not a good choice. could you please suggest a verb/phrasal verb to be used in its place?
    as to "accommodate", could I replace it for "settle"?
    thanks again.

hi,
    thanks.
    after a little research I also concluded that "tip off" was not a good choice. could you please suggest a verb/phrasal verb to be used in its place?
    as to "accommodate", could I replace it for "settle"?
    thanks again.
    They also told me how to express my body language, how to sit and look comfortable on the chair.

They also gave me tips on how to shake hands and hold things like my cellphone, my pen and my briefcase.