• English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

re: The Chinese Rural Environment

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hello Soup,

Would you please give me a hand again? Do you think I should switch my title to "China Countryside Environment"?

I just learned the difference between "rural area" and "countryside". Please read another thread I started. Here is the URL link.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...untryside.html

Thanks in advance.
    I visited the link. Thanks. In China, the countryside is commonly referred to as a rural area, so "rural" is fine. I also agree that peasants isn't the right word.

As for your title, note that the purpose of any given title is two-fold: 1) to persuade the reader to want to read the article, and 2) to summarize the gist of the article. How do these two criteria play a part in the title you have chosen?

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hello Soup,

Thanks for your answer again.

I beg differ about choosing “farmer”. I remember that I learned a discussion about “peasant” and “farmer” long time ago.

Here’s a definition on “peasant” from Cambridge Dictionary

a person who owns or rents a small piece of land and grows crops, keeps animals, etc. on it, especially one who has a low income, very little education and a low social position. This is usually used of someone who lived in the past or of someone in a poor country:
    I think the definition on peasant is consistent with current Chinese people, especially 30 years ago, who work in the countryside. And a farmer refers to an owner who manages a large piece of land where crops are planted and /or livestock is reared. There are highly mechanization and just a few people who run a vast farm in modern agriculture. A farmer is not less educated, or not has a low income.

I didn’t consider my title seriously because I didn’t know whether I would keep on it or not. I will try to make a good title next time. Thanks for your suggestion.
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 15-Jun-2008 at 06:16. Reason: addition: highlight in blue

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

thedaffodils, neither peasant nor farmer works. The noun people (who live in rural areas) will suffice.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    thedaffodils, neither peasant nor farmer works. The noun people (who live in rural areas) will suffice.
    Good idea. I found someone uses "rural residents". It's probably a good substitute!

I am still not very clear about "countryside" and "rural". I will think it over. Thank you for your help.

ohmyrichard is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi Ohmyrichard,

I didn't mean to point out your mistakes because there are variations of idioms. I am not confident of my English.

All your comments here are meaningful and helpful though you are not an English native speaker.

My goal is not to be a translator. I just hope my English writing would be flowing and smooth. But I fail to write any articles by myself so I have to exercise my English on the base of Chinese articles. I know this is not a good method but I don't have a better choice so far.

Have a good day!
    To be frank, I don't think it is a good idea to learn to write through translating Chinese articles. This method may hinder your progress in writing. Reading English articles on cultures of English speaking countries, especially the current life in these countries, is a better way. And you'd better find a native speaker pen pal and communicate with him or her on a regular basis. In my humble opinion, these methods may help you.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

And I really didn't know there are two kinds of steamed buns in China before read your post because I don't eat them much.

I think corn buns probably are cheaper but buns made of flour are expensive. And in the old days, Chinese peasants could not afford to buy white steamed buns but steamed corn buns probably were available for them since they are cheaper.

On the basis of that, it is not good to omit "white" from "steamed bun" though my translation is not accurate about it. I admit that I translated it literally without consideration.

Any other comment?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hello Soup,

Thanks for your answer again.

I beg to differ about choosing “farmer”. I remember that I learned a discussion about “peasant” and “farmer” long time ago.

Here’s a definition on “peasant” from Cambridge Dictionary

I think the definition on peasant is consistent with current Chinese people, especially 30 years ago, who work in the countryside. And a farmer refers to an owner who manages a large piece of land where crops are planted and /or livestock is reared. There are highly mechanization and just a few people who run a vast farm in modern agriculture. A farmer is not necessarily less educated or poorer than a city dweller.

I didn’t consider my title seriously because I didn’t know whether I would keep it or not. I will try to make a good title next time. Thanks for your suggestion.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi Ohmyrichard,

I didn't mean to point out your mistakes because there are variations of idioms. I am not confident of my English.

All your comments here are meaningful and helpful though you are not an English native speaker.

My goal is not to be a translator. I just hope my English writing would be flowing and smooth. But I fail to write any articles by myself so I have to practice my English on the basis of Chinese articles. I know this is not a good method but I don't have a better choice so far.

Have a good day!
    Probably better:
    I have to practice my English based on Chinese articles.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: The Chinese Rural Environment

Thank you so much, RonBee! I'd like to write down all my writing mistakes in my notebook.

Have a good one!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The Chinese Rural Environment

Thank you so much, RonBee! I'd like to write down all my writing mistakes in my notebook.

Have a good one!
    You are quite welcome. Do you like the new title?

Page 4 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last