help me please

Exacerbating the global rise in food prices, which has sparked protests and riots in several West African nations, is an annual decline in food reserves across the high desert-like region called the Sahel, just below the Sahara Desert.
    please help me to understand the sentence.I am quite confused.Does the sentence mean "because of the rising food price ,the food reserves decline in the Sahel"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: help me please

Quote Originally Posted by xushuying View Post
    Exacerbating the global rise in food prices, which has sparked protests and riots in several West African nations, is an annual decline in food reserves across the high desert-like region called the Sahel, just below the Sahara Desert.
    please help me to understand the sentence.I am quite confused.Does the sentence mean "because of the rising food price ,the food reserves decline in the Sahel"
    It means that an annual decline in food reserves is making the global rise in food prices worse. i.e. making obtaining enough food even more difficult for the poorest people in the Sahel region of Africa.