Exclamation Which is correct?This or It?

a. What's this? It's a flower.
    b. What's this? This is A flower.
    c. What's that?It's a flower.
    d. What's that? That's a flower.

Which of these sentences are correct??
    When to use It and This?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Which is correct?This or It?

This - it's at hand.
    That - I'm pointing to it over there.

You can often use either. I find that "It's" sounded more natural in yours, but I wouldn't say the others are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    This - it's at hand.
    That - I'm pointing to it over there.

You can often use either. I find that "It's" sounded more natural in yours, but I wouldn't say the others are wrong.
    Of course, I know the difference between this and that..I'm just wondering which is more grammatically correct, This/That is a flower or It is a flower.

Quote Originally Posted by ongetz View Post
    Of course, I know the difference between this and that..I'm just wondering which is more grammatically correct, This/That is a flower or It is a flower.
    There's a whole lot more to language than grammar, Ongetz. All of them are grammatically correct. The concern for ESLs is which is more natural in a particular situation and why.

Demonstrative pronouns, this and that, are used to demonstrate, so a speaker demonstrating, gesturing, may well use this or that, depending on proximity as noted by Barb.

We also use demonstrative pronouns, like this and that to introduce something, which really is just a kind of demonstrating, is it not? Thereafter, we switch to a pronoun to talk further of something/someone.

This is Jill. She's my ...

That's a deer. They have their babies in the Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    There's a whole lot more to language than grammar, Ongetz. All of them are grammatically correct. The concern for ESLs is which is more natural in a particular situation and why.

Demonstrative pronouns, this and that, are used to demonstrate, so a speaker demonstrating, gesturing, may well use this or that, depending on proximity as noted by Barb.

We also use demonstrative pronouns, like this and that to introduce something, which really is just a kind of demonstrating, is it not? Thereafter, we switch to a pronoun to talk further of something/someone.

Your absolutely right!!!!but what I'm referring to is this question and answer pattern..

a. What's this? This is a flower.
    b. What's this?It is a flower.

Which of this answer is more common and acceptable to standard English?

Quote Originally Posted by ongetz View Post
    Your absolutely right!!!!but what I'm referring to is this question and answer pattern..

a. What's this? This is a flower.
    b. What's this?It is a flower.

Which of this answer is more common and acceptable to standard English?
    Both are acceptable to standard and nonstandard English. I explained the reasons that ENLs choose one or the other. See my last posting again.

So, my educated guess is that the normal neutral situation [more common] is one where we switch to the pronoun but that doesn't mean that we have to.

Both are acceptable to standard and nonstandard English. I explained the reasons that ENLs choose one or the other. See my last posting again.

So, my educated guess is that the normal neutral situation [more common] is one where we switch to the pronoun but that doesn't mean that we have to.

I don't think that both are accepted in standard anand nonstardard English...I guess there's just only one answer but I'm not also pretty sure about this.Let me just reinterate my question, I'm referring to the question and answer pattern not of other patterns.

Try to check this explanation..I think this is what I'm looking for..

it's me/John/a pen etc. used in order to give the name of a person or thing when it is not already known: "What's that?" "It's a pen." | "Who's on the phone?" "It's Jill."
    Pearson Education Limited 2000

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'll repeat as well - in your examples, "it's" sounds a bit more natural, but there's nothing wrong with the others.

Who's that? That's my brother.
    What's that on your shirt? That's evidence that I had spaghetti at lunch.
    What's that? It's an iris.
    What's this thing? It's a measuring device. --> I would repeat "this" if I picked it up in the process of showing you how it worked or to give you a better look, rather than using "it."