I need your help.

As catastrophic as the disintegration of the Roman Empire must have seemed, that disaster nevertheless presented some constructive aspects.

Can I omit the first "as"?

Catastrophic as the disintegration of the Roman Empire must have seemed, that disaster nevertheless presented some constructive aspects.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: I need your help.

Quote Originally Posted by owenpan1979 View Post
    As catastrophic as the disintegration of the Roman Empire must have seemed, that disaster nevertheless presented some constructive aspects.

Catastrophic as the disintegration of the Roman Empire must have seemed, that disaster nevertheless presented some constructive aspects.
    No.It is a comparison.'The disintegration of Roman Empire ' is compared to a 'disaster'.
    The context(what disaster?) may in the previous sentences of the passage.
    Regards,
    rj1948.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by owenpan1979 View Post

I would say that yes, you can omit the first "as". In my view it is equally good as a sentence, if not better.

It is not 'that', but 'this', since it is a particular catastrophic disintegration under discussion.
    Look at this:
    Catastrophic as the disintegration of the Roman Empire must have seemed, it nevertheless presented some constructive aspects.
    or
    Catastrophic as the disintegration of the Roman Empire must have seemed, this disaster nevertheless presented some constructive aspects.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post

It is not 'that', but 'this', since it is a particular catastrophic disintegration under discussion.
    Look at this:
    Catastrophic as the disintegration of the Roman Empire must have seemed, it nevertheless presented some constructive aspects.
    or
    Catastrophic as the disintegration of the Roman Empire must have seemed, this disaster nevertheless presented some constructive aspects.
    Thanks for that. I was concentrating on the 'as' or not 'as' and absolutely failed to notice 'this' and 'that'.