i need your help!
    there are 2 questions:
    1> "do you speak english?" he asked
    A: he asked if i spoke english
    B: he asked whether i spoke english
    C: he asked whether i speak english
    D: he asked did i speak english
    i chose key C-right?
    2> "haven't i told you that the hotel has a very good swimminh pool?" she asked
    A: she asked if the hotel had a very good swimming pool
    B:she asked if she hadn't told me that the hotel had a very good swimming pool
    C: she asked if i hadn't tole me that the hotel had a ery good swimming pool
    D: she asked if she had told me that the hotel had a very good swimminh pool
    i chose key B-right?
    can you explain more about the second question ?
    i just know that "yes / no question " turn to reported speech we use" whether/if"
    but in this case "haven't" i do not know to to turn it !
    thank you!

re: help me with reported speech

Quote Originally Posted by lovefrance View Post
    i need your help!
    there are 2 questions:

1> "do you speak english?" he asked

A: he asked if i spoke english
    B: he asked whether i spoke english
    C: he asked whether i speak english
    D: he asked did i speak english
    i chose key C-right?

A or B would probably be the most common, LF. You could use C, as there's no absolute requirement to "backshift" for reported speech. But again, the normal neutral would likely be a backshift situation.

2> "haven't i told you that the hotel has a very good swimming pool?" she asked

A: she asked if the hotel had a very good swimming pool No.
    B:she asked if she [hadn't] had told me that the hotel had a very good swimming pool okay, with the change to 'had'.
    C: she asked if [I] she hadn't told me that the hotel had a very good swimming pool
    D: she asked if she had told me that the hotel had a very good swimming pool

i chose key B-right?

1. She wondered if she had told that the hotel had a very good swimming pool.

2. She asked whether she had told that the hotel had a really good swimming pool.

can you explain more about the second question ?
    i just know that "yes / no question " turn to reported speech we use" whether/if"
    but in this case "haven't" i do not know to to turn it !
    thank you!
    #

He asked whether I spoke English.
    He asked whether I speak English

Here, either is correct. It would be usual to backshift to the past tense. However, if you spoke English at the time you were asked, then unless you have had a stroke, with aphasia, then you still speak English today, when you are reporting his question - you do speak English. It is as true today, as it was then.
    (Note the capital "E".)

2> "haven't i told you that the hotel has a very good swimming pool?" she asked.
    A: she asked if the hotel had a very good swimming pool
    B:she asked if she hadn't told me that the hotel had a very good swimming pool
    C: she asked if i hadn't tole me that the hotel had a ery good swimming pool
    D: she asked if she had told me that the hotel had a very good swimminh pool
    i chose key B-right?

Simple Past and Present Perfect, both backshift to Past Perfect. Past Perfect remains as Past Perfect.
    The problem in this sentence is the 'Haven't I told..." construction= Have I or have I not...
    Firstly, note that although 'if' and 'whether' are often interchangeable, a distinction is that 'whether' is used in expressing an alternative or possibility. Thus, : "Tell me if you’re going to be in town next week." could be strictly interpreted as 'you need not reply if you are not going to be in town,' whereas : "Tell me whether you’re going to be in town next week." clearly means 'a reply is desired one way or the other.' - 'tell me whether or not...'
    So, one way of reporting might be:
    She asked whether or not she had told me that the hotel had a very good swimming pool."

However, because the use of 'whether' implies both possibilities, she did or she did not tell you, perhaps 'or not' could be omitted, as in:
    She asked whether she had told me that the hotel had a very good swimming pool."
    Last edited by David L.; 17-Jun-2008 at 06:31.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Question re: help me with reported speech

Yours explenation arises in my mind the following question :

Can "haven't i told you that the hotel has a very good swimming pool?" she asked has another interpretation that
    'Haven't I told..." construction= Have I or have I not...
    ?

What I mean is ' yest ofcourse I told you but you didn't believe me and now when you see it you are surprised'

Or for that meaning it shoul be : Didn't I tell you that the hotel has a very good swimming pool ?

And how to turn it to reported speach for that meaning ?

So busy concentrating on one aspect, overlooking the other meanings!

If spoken, we would have the tone of voice - that of exasperated impatience, another of surprise...

...and even delight: Didn't I tell you....! (as both delight in how marvellous the pool is.)

We don't have this information, in order to substitute ..'she asked impatiently.' etc