Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,860
    #1

    to "unmess"

    please, what's the informal verb for "to organize" or "to put things in order"?

    "this house is a mess! let's ... it!"

    "this desk is a mess! let's ... it!"

    thanks.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #2

    Re: to "unmess"

    Let's sort it out or Let's clear it up are what I would expect to hear.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #3

    Re: to "unmess"

    Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    please, what's the informal verb for "to organize" or "to put things in order"?

    "this house is a mess! let's ... it!"

    "this desk is a mess! let's ... it!"

    thanks.
    In addition to Anglika's excellent examples;

    straighten it/things up

    tidy it/things up

    clean sth up

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,860
    #4

    Re: to "unmess"

    thanks.
    there are so many options that I am a little confused on which one to choose.
    as a foreigner that speaks English as a second language, I would like to use the most common and versatile expression.
    would it be "to straighten up"?
    thanks again.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #5

    Re: to "unmess"

    Rather depends on how much mess there is.

    Lots of mess >> clear up

    Not too much mess >> straighten up

    Just a muddle rather than a mess >> sort out


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #6

    Re: to "unmess"

    Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    thanks.
    there are so many options that I am a little confused on which one to choose.
    as a foreigner that speaks English as a second language, I would like to use the most common and versatile expression.
    would it be "to straighten up"?
    thanks again.
    I appreciate your problem, JC. If I may ask, are you now an immigrant that's moved to an English speaking country?

    If so, this is obviously a more critical situation. But, the up side is that no matter which you choose, it's highly likely that you will be understood. Another equally important issue is that it's really important, probably more important that you expand your passive vocabulary.

    By this I mean that it's more important to understand a lot of words than it is to use a lot of words. By having a large passive vocabulary, you'll be able to see how these different similar words are used because when you come into contact with them, spoken by native speakers, you'll already know the meaning.
    Last edited by riverkid; 20-Jun-2008 at 02:01.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,860
    #7

    Re: to "unmess"

    thanks!
    yes, you're right, I need to improve my passive vocabulary! maybe that's the reason sometimes it's so difficult to understand what natives say.
    thanks again for your wise advices!
    jc


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #8

    Re: to "unmess"

    Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    thanks!
    yes, you're right, I need to improve my passive vocabulary! maybe that's the reason sometimes it's so difficult to understand what natives say.
    thanks again for your wise advices!
    jc
    To expand your vocabulary, JC, there's nothing better than this.

    Amazon.com: Longman Language Activator: Helps You Write and Speak Natural English, Second Edition: LONGMAN: Books

    If you're in Canada or the USA, you can get this book, used, for around $32. I even saw some for around $23.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •