• Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

history or histories

Hi guys.
    Happy belated "Father's Day".
    I've some queries here:
    Which one is correct?
    1. Other past medical history and family history was or were unremarkable.
    2. Can I write like this, Other past medical and family histories were unremarkable.

Re: history or histories

For the benefit of readers of this post, let's clarify what seems like a redundancy here, namely 'past history', since history implies past events.
    Shouldn't it therefore be just 'medical history'?

In medical settings, ' a history of stomach cramps..' refers to the onset of this symptom, which continues to this point in time.
    'a past history of stomach cramps...' refers to having had, at some time in the past, the symptom of stomach cramps, and that this condition has resolved, either spontaneously, or by some form of medical intervention, and so has not been in evidence for some time.

A native speaking medico would say:
    Other past medical and family history is/was unremarkable.
    Here, the verb agrees with the singular 'history'; and 'other' indicates that some piece of the history has been referred to that may have relevance to the current symptomatology, but that the remainder of the history - the 'other' - is unremarkable.
    'medical' and 'family' are lumped together as adjectives qualifying 'history' -
    Last edited by David L.; 18-Jun-2008 at 03:21.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malay
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: history or histories

Thank to you David, I'm flattered indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    For the benefit of readers of this post, let's clarify what seems like a redundancy here, namely 'past history', since history implies past events.
    Shouldn't it therefore be just 'medical history'?
    I don't know whether "past" is redundant here. I'm not a native speaker in English. Let say I'm presenting a history of present illness for my patient to my registrar i.e. about the current problem that he/she has now.Then, I explain on the other "past" medical history i.e. about some other medical problems which may or may not be related to the current one. I think, it wouldn't be "abnormal" to state the word "past".
    In medical settings, ' a history of stomach cramps..' refers to the onset of this symptom, which continues to this point in time.
    'a past history of stomach cramps...' refers to having had, at some time in the past, the symptom of stomach cramps, and that this condition has resolved, either spontaneously, or by some form of medical intervention, and so has not been in evidence for some time.

A native speaking medico would say:
    Other past medical and family history is/was unremarkable.
    Here, the verb agrees with the singular 'history'; and 'other' indicates that some piece of the history has been referred to that may have relevance to the current symptomatology, but that the remainder of the history - the 'other' - is unremarkable.
    'medical' and 'family' are lumped together as adjectives qualifying 'history' -