Question [B] has or have ? [/B]

Hi

I have another question because I seem to have an even number of colleagues and teachers that I have spoken to, for either option with this one.....

Any opinions or grammar explanations on this would be appreciated.

The sentence is:

Centuries of exploration inside the Great Pyramid has revealed some of its secrets.

Someone suggested that it should be 'have' and not 'has'....

One person I spoke to said the following:
    While grammatically speaking a predicate must agree with the subject of the sentence in number and person, semantically speaking, exploration, not centuries, has revealed secrets, Another way to look at it is exploration and water are the actual subject of the sentence and “Centuries of” modify's it.

I personally would write 'has'.....

Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Re: [B] has or have ? [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by riceball72 View Post
    Hi

I have another question because I seem to have an even number of colleagues and teachers that I have spoken to, for either option with this one.....

Any opinions or grammar explanations on this would be appreciated.

The sentence is:

Centuries of exploration inside the Great Pyramid has revealed some of its secrets.

Someone suggested that it should be 'have' and not 'has'....

One person I spoke to said the following:
    While grammatically speaking a predicate must agree with the subject of the sentence in number and person, semantically speaking, exploration, not centuries, has revealed secrets, Another way to look at it is exploration and water are the actual subject of the sentence and “Centuries of” modify's it.

I personally would write 'has'.....

Any comments would be very much appreciated.
    What has revealed some of the secrets? Exploration has. ?Exploration have.?

??How much exploration have been done? ??

How much exploration has been done? A lot/ A great deal/ Many years/ Centuries/The sum total

A lot of exploration inside the Great Pyramid has revealed some of its secrets.

A great deal of exploration inside the Great Pyramid has revealed some of its secrets.

Re: [B] has or have ? [/B]

I agree with the "one person" you spoke to. 'centuries of' acts as an adjective, qualifying the subject "exploration' :

Extensive exploration has...

Centuries of effort has been put into determining whether

Lots of effort has been put into....