some or any

Can I say some drinks here?

A:Hello, House of dumplings!
    B: Hello! I want to order some food, please.
    A:Sure.I'd like ...
    B:...
    A: OK. Then what kind of soup would you like?
    B: ...
    A: OK. Woud you like any drinks?
    B: ...

Thank you for your kindness.

Re: some or any

No.
    We use 'any' in questions.
    The exception to this, when we use 'some', is when something in particular is there, on offer, and the question asks whether you wish to partake. So, a person is having a pot of tea when I call, and they ask me, "Would you like some tea?"
    If there was also cake on the table, the person might ask me, "Would you care for some cake?"

If there is no cake on the table, then of course, greedy and ungracious me might ask, "Is there any cake?"

In your example, the question is asking, "Would you like any of the drinks we have on sale included in your order." He is not asking you to share some of the drink/s he is drinking when you rang!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

If there is no cake on the table, then of course, greedy and ungracious me might ask, "Is there any cake?"

What do "greedy and ungracios me" refers to in the previous sentence posted in the previous thread.

venkatasu:

What do "greedy and ungracios me" refers to in the previous sentence posted in the previous thread
    If I called in at your house, and you offered me a cold drink, how would you feel if I asked, "Don't you have any cake or biscuits to go with that? Oh, and a sandwich would be nice too."
    And what would it say/mean about me?