• Post Thanks / Like

translation from french

could someone tell me how to translate, when you're over the phone "je vous passe Mlle..." ? I'm working right now as a phone operator and I just couldn't figure out how to say this.
    thank you

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: translation from french

Quote Originally Posted by capucine View Post
    could someone tell me how to translate, when you're over the phone "je vous passe Mlle..." ? I'm working right now as a phone operator and I just couldn't figure out how to say this.
    thank you
    I'm trying to learn French, so this interests me.

I cannot translate that sentence without help. I checked a translator and it suggested "I pass Miss to you".

The correct way to say this depends on what you're doing.

If you are passing the phone to someone (handing the phone to them) - you'd say "I'm going to pass you over to Miss/Mr.........".

But if you're passing the call through to a different room (to a different phone) - you'd say "I'm going to put you through to Miss/Mr........".

So to physically hand the phone to someone near to you use "pass you over" and to direct the call to another seperate phone use "put you through".

I'm not a qualified teacher, but these are the phrases I would use when dealing with phonecalls in an office.

I hope that answers your question.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: translation from french

Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by capucine View Post
    thank you
    A telephone operator would say "I am connecting you with Miss ....." OR "I am putting you through to Miss ....".