Cloze test

Choose the most suitable word:

The members of a living community exist together in a particular,balanced relationship or ecosystem.One animal species eats another animal species which 1.(in turns,by turns,therefore,thereafter) eats another.Over years, a balance is worked 2.(at,out,up,on) among the plants and animals which remains basically stable.It's like a huge puzzle with all the pieces in their proper places.3.(Anyway,However,Consequently,For example), at times this balance in nature is disturbed,resulting in possibly unforseen effects. Perhaps a disease results in the near 4.(disintegration,extermination,extinction,disappe arance) of one species ,leaving another species with no natural control. Sometimes,however,human beings 5.(interrupt,intervene,interact,intersect) in a natural environment, perhaps with good intentions, 6.(despite,although,but,so as) the result is the same. 7.(In addition,Moreover,By contrast,For example), this occured in the Antilles in the 1870s.Sugar cane was a major crop there, but rats were eating it causing a great deal of damage.The mongoose, a mammal of the East Indies,was 8.(famous,reported,known,conceived) to be an excellent rat hunter.Several males and females were imported in 1872, and laws were established that forbade the killing of them or their offsprings.After 10 years, it had multiplied abundantly, reducing the rat population. Consequently, damage to sugar cane was greatly reduced.The influence of the mongoose,however, did not stop there. As the rat population decreased, the mongoose 9.(wanted,needed,claimed,threatened) to enlarge its menu and became a terible pest.All of the 10.(indigenous,ingenious,ingenuous,innate) animals suffered. Now,it was specifically these animals that kept the local insect population in check.

My answers:1-thereafter;2-out;3-However;4-extinction;5-intervene;6-but;7-For example;8-conceived;9-needed;10-indigenous

Re: Cloze test

Quote Originally Posted by ocean_soul View Post
    Choose the most suitable word:

The members of a living community exist together in a particular,balanced relationship or ecosystem.One animal species eats another animal species which 1.(in turns,by turns,therefore,thereafter) eats another.Over years, a balance is worked 2.(at,out,up,on) among the plants and animals which remains basically stable.It's like a huge puzzle with all the pieces in their proper places.3.(Anyway,However,Consequently,For example), at times this balance in nature is disturbed,resulting in possibly unforseen effects. Perhaps a disease results in the near 4.(disintegration,extermination,extinction,disappe arance) of one species ,leaving another species with no natural control. Sometimes,however,human beings 5.(interrupt,intervene,interact,intersect) in a natural environment, perhaps with good intentions, 6.(despite,although,but,so as) the result is the same. 7.(In addition,Moreover,By contrast,For example), this occured in the Antilles in the 1870s.Sugar cane was a major crop there, but rats were eating it causing a great deal of damage.The mongoose, a mammal of the East Indies,was 8.(famous,reported,known,conceived) to be an excellent rat hunter.Several males and females were imported in 1872, and laws were established that forbade the killing of them or their offspring.After 10 years, it had multiplied abundantly, reducing the rat population. Consequently, damage to sugar cane was greatly reduced.The influence of the mongoose,however, did not stop there. As the rat population decreased, the mongoose 9.(wanted,needed,claimed,threatened) to enlarge its menu and became a terible pest.All of the 10.(indigenous,ingenious,ingenuous,innate) animals suffered. Now,it was specifically these animals that kept the local insect population in check.

My answers:1-thereafter;2-out;3-However;4-extinction;5-intervene;6-but;7-For example;8-conceived;9-needed;10-indigenous
    #1 The animal species in turn [note singular "turn"]
    #8 This fact was know about the mongoose.
    #9 I would prefer threatened - though needed is passable.

Thanks,Anglika! I wanted to ask what's the difference between 'conceived' and 'known' ?As far as I understood in the text 'conceived' is the right one but I can't make difeerence between the words...

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by ocean_soul View Post
    Thanks,Anglika! I wanted to ask what's the difference between 'conceived' and 'known' ?As far as I understood in the text 'conceived' is the right one but I can't make difeerence between the words...
    The mongoose, a mammal of the East Indies,was 8. (famous, reported, known, conceived) to be an excellent rat hunter.
    conceived, believed; thought of
    known, proved or generally recognized
    reported, made known or told about; especially presented in a formal account.

Thank,Soup!