1. aviator

It would be Vs It was

Hi,

Please suggest what's the difference between the following sentences:
    1. the food is a lot better than I thought it would be.
    2. the food is a lot better than I thought it was.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,
    aviator

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: It would be Vs It was

1. the food is a lot better than I thought it would be.

I think the difference is in the degree of certainty, sentence No.2 being 'more certain' than sentence No.1.

(not a teacher)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: It would be Vs It was

I think this is a true Interpretation. Thank you tedtmc.

2. Newbie
    Student or Learner

tedtmc,
    Thanks for your response. Could you please elaborate a bit more ?
    I read the following explanation somewhere but iam really not convinced. please check if you can relate your explanation to this distinction
    -
    In the first sentence, we are saying that something turned out to be true. In the second sentence, we are saying that we were not aware of a fact that was true at that time.
    -

thanks.

the food is a lot better than I thought it would be.

I have not eaten the food here, in this restaurant, before. Either I have heard the food is not very good, or from the look of the grotty(=unpleasant and of poor quality) decor, I am not expecting the food to be very good.
    Surprise! The food is A LOT BETTER than I thought/expected/had heard - it is a lot better than I thought that it would be from the rumours, or from the tacky-looking decor.

This is too odd a sentence. A native speaker would say, "The food is a lot better than I remember."

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    the food is a lot better than I thought it would be.

I have not eaten the food here, in this restaurant, before. Either I have heard the food is not very good, or from the look of the grotty(=unpleasant and of poor quality) decor, I am not expecting the food to be very good.
    Surprise! The food is A LOT BETTER than I thought/expected/had heard - it is a lot better than I thought that it would be from the rumours, or from the tacky-looking decor.

This is too odd a sentence. A native speaker would say, "The food is a lot better than I remember."
    David,

thanks very much for your response. could you please suggest which one of the following is the best usage and why ?

1. Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to
    deteriorate than they originally seemed.

2. Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than it originally seemed.

3. Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than it originally seemed they would.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to
    deteriorate than they originally seemed.
    Researchers have found out that plastics take a longer time to deteriorate than were previously known to take.

I don't think the continuous tense is appropriate for the sentence.

(not a teacher)

Researchers are finding/have found that plastics take longer to degrade than they originally believed.

Lot of changes...lot of questions why?
    Let me start with one change -'are finding/have found'

There's a huge number of plastic compounds produced and used.
    It then depends on the perspective of the speaker as to which he uses:
    'are finding' - as they continue to test each of the plastics, they are finding some that degrade as they expected - and are finding others that take longer. It will take a while to work through and test all the plastics, but as they continue to test, they are certainly finding some that do take longer.

'have found' - all it takes is to find a couple of the huge number of different plastics that do not degrade as quickly as the eco-tables for biodegradable products shows, and one is justified in saying, 'they have found that (some) plastics take longer'....and as they continue to test, you will be justified in saying 'have found more and more plastics that take longer to degrade than...'
    Last edited by David L.; 22-Jun-2008 at 08:35.

4. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Researchers are finding/have found that plastics take longer to degrade than they originally believed.

Lot of changes...lot of questions why?
    Let me start with one change -'are finding/have found'

There's a huge number of plastic compounds produced and used.
    It then depends on the perspective of the speaker as to which he uses:
    'are finding' - as they continue to test each of the plastics, they are finding some that degrade as they expected - and are finding others that take longer. It will take a while to work through and test all the plastics, but as they continue to test, they are certainly finding some that do take longer.

'have found' - all it takes is to find a couple of the huge number of different plastics that do not degrade as quickly as the eco-tables for biodegradable products shows, and one is justified in saying, 'they have found that (some) plastics take longer'....and as they continue to test, you will be justified in saying 'have found more and more plastics that take longer to degrade than...'
    Thanks david. But which is the correct usage of the three ?