Error Identification

There may be a mistake in A,B or C or no mistake at all:

1.Unprecedented urban growth could threaten whole section of A.the society in the next millenium; even now a third of the population in cities,some B.six hundred million people, cannot afford theit most basic needs C.such as water and shelter.
    2.A.Despite of all the political upheaval the state B.has managed C.to curb many sources of air pollution.
    3.It A.couldn't have been Peter you B.have met at the party.He was ill C.in bed.
    4.A.Snow runners are ski boots with replaceable flat bottoms B.that are the same length C.like the boot.
    5.A.The television experts forecast the ruling party B.would be beaten C.by a large majority in the election.
    6.None of the other planets in our solar system are capable A.to support B.life C.at present.
    7.The Minister announced that jail terms for A.those B.convicted in violent crimes C.would be toughened.
    8.Thirteen parties and more than 2000 candidates A.run in the elections, B.representing a wide range of political C.points of view.
    9.Why did you tell me you A.attended the lecture B.when,in fact, it C.had been cancelled?
    10.A.At their last meeting,the committee B.have resolved that a co-ordinator C.be appointed.
    11.I know my son didn't mean A.to upset me but I B.wish he C.told me the whole truth yesterday.

My answers:1.A-a society
    2.A.Despite
    3.B-had met
    4.C-as
    5.No error
    6.A.of supporting
    7.No error
    8.No error
    9.A.had attended
    10.B.has resloved
    11.C.had told

Re: Error Identification

7.The Minister announced that jail terms for A.those B.convicted in violent crimes C.would be toughened.

"Convicted of violent crimes".

10.A.At their last meeting,the committee B.have resolved that a co-ordinator C.be appointed.

I would choose "resolved". I think the past simple is more appropriate here as it is referring to an action which happened at a specific time in the past (during their last meeting).

"Has resolved" would be more likely to be used in a sentence like this - "He has resolved the problem, everything is okay now" - where the problem was resolved at a point in the past, but it isn't particularly important when it happened (present perfect).

Other than those 2, the rest look perfect.

However, please note that I'm not a qualified teacher.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Error Identification

Ocean_soul, please compare my answers to yours. Note that, I didn't read your answers--I didn't what them to influence mine.

1.Unprecedented urban growth could threaten whole section of A. society in the next millenium; even now a third of the population in cities, some B. six hundred million people cannot afford their most basic needs C.such as water and shelter.

2.A. Despite all the political upheaval, the state B.has managed C. to curb many sources of air pollution.

3. It A. couldn't have been Peter you B. met at the party. He was ill C. in bed.

4. A. Snow runners are ski boots with replaceable flat bottoms B. that are the same length C. as the boot.

5. A. The television experts forecast the ruling party B. will be beaten C. by a large majority in the election.

6.None of the other planets in our solar system are capable A. of supporting B. life C. at present.

7. The Minister announced that jail terms for A. those B. convicted of violent crimes C. would be toughened.

8. Thirteen parties and more than 2000 candidates A. will run in the elections, B. representing a wide range of political C. points of view.

9. Why did you tell me you A. had attended the lecture B. when, in fact, it C. had been cancelled?

10. A. At their last meeting, the committee B. (had)resolvedthat a co-ordinator C. be appointed.

11. I know my son didn't mean A. to upset me but I B. wish he C. would have told/had told me the whole truth yesterday.