When (or) under what circumstances can we use 'May I'. for example -
"May I request you to provide me with the access rights of VSS".
Actually this is a request made to the reporting manager. Is this usage correct?
Usually, "May I do X?" is a request for permission to do X, e.g.
1. May I ask you what your first name is? = Permit me to ask you what your first name is.
2. May I see that piece of paper? = Permit me to see that piece of paper.
3. May I come with you tonight? = Permit me to come with you tonight.
In BrE, it is a polite or deferential structure. "Could I do X?" is a more common form.
In your example, it might sound a little over-deferential; also, you "request something from someone" or "ask someone to do something". A more usual form for your sentence therefore might be:
4. Could I ask you to give me access rights for VSS.
5. Could you please give me access rights for VSS.
Not a professional ESL teacher.