Small letter after Good afternoon,

• Thread starter Pepek
  • Start date
  • Views : 202,601
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pepek

When starting an email message, do you write a small letter or a big one after "Good afternoon," (comma is important)

I personally believe that once there is a comma, it is considered as a standard sentence and therefore a small letter should be used. This is how it works in my native language.

Is it the same way in English language?

Would you please share with me some link where is this confirmed?

rj1948

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
When starting an email message, do you write a small letter or a big one after "Good afternoon," (comma is important)

I personally believe that once there is a comma, it is considered as a standard sentence and therefore a small letter should be used. This is how it works in my native language.

Is it the same way in English language?

After a comma or semicolon, it's always 'small letter'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/comma
Regards,
rj1948.

Last edited:

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Good afternoon,...."

You use the comma if you wish to address the person's name eg. Good afternoon, Mr Brown. If you wish to continue with the sentence, you use the word 'and' eg. 'Good afternoon and welcome to .....'

If not, I think it is better to just write ' Good afternoon.' and start a new sentence.

not a teacher

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
You use the comma if you wish to address the person's name eg. Good afternoon, Mr Brown. If you wish to continue with the sentence, you use the word 'and' eg. 'Good afternoon and welcome to .....'

If not, I think it is better to just write ' Good afternoon.' and start a new sentence.

not a teacher

In normal letter writing we would write, for example;

Dear Jim,
I am writing to you...

When I am writing an email I tend to use a similar format, for example;

Good afternoon/morning Jim,
Did you receive my letter...

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China

The rule is and always has been to capitalize the first word of a sentence (http://www.cabrillo.edu/services/writingcenter/290/capitalize.pdf).

For letter writing, even email writing, the rule of thumb is as follows. If the salutation and the opening sentence are on the same line, then use lowercase to begin the opening sentence; if the salutation and the opening sentence are on different lines, then use a capital to begin the opening sentence:
Line 1: Good morning, how has your day been so far?

Line 1: Good morning(,)

Line 2: How has your day been so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.