• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile But of course

Good afternoon(But it looks like at night outside). I have some questions to ask.

1.(Dialogue) D: Oh! It's like the Earth is a giant waterbed. When you lie down on it, the surface of the mattress under you sinks, forcing the water into other parts of the mattress.
    Y: You have a water bed?
    D: But of course.

Is 'but of course' equal to 'of course'. Why used 'but' here?

2. In more than 80% of the developed and emerging market countries that follow some form of inflation targeting, the CPI now exceeds the target.

What do the bold words mean? And why used targeting rather than target?

Thank you in advance. There is a typhoon here today. My dear! The wind is blowing strongly and the rain is pouring heavily. And I have to work.
    Last edited by lovecindy; 25-Jun-2008 at 10:56.

Re: But of course

Quote Originally Posted by lovecindy View Post
    Good afternoon(But it looks like at night outside). I have some questions to ask.

1.(Dialogue) D: Oh! It's like the Earth is a giant waterbed. When you lie down on it, the surface of the mattress under you sinks, forcing the water into other parts of the mattress.
    Y: You have a water bed?
    D: But of course.

Is 'but of course' equal to 'of course'. Why used 'but' here? It is an emphasiser.

2. In more than 80% of the developed and emerging market countries that follow some form of inflation targeting, the CPI now exceeds the target.

What do the bold words mean? And why used targeting rather than target? The countries are actively targeting inflation - directing their activities against inflation.

Thank you in advance. There is a typhoon here today. My dear! The wind is blowing strongly and the rain is pouring heavily. And I have to work.
    Keep dry!