1. Mil$ba

Unhappy as offerings that have come down

Hello,

I found the following expression in a book;

There are so many them(=handaxes), all so wonderfully crafted, that I believe they were intended as gifts, as offerings that have come down through all the ages, across all that time.

Could someone explain to me about the tense of "have come down" ?
    If this part were expressed like "as offerings that (should) come down" or "as offerings to come down", I could understand much more clearly. 
    Or, I wonder if the author wanted to imply the fact they(=handaxes) really have come down until now"?

Thank you in advance.

Re: as offerings that have come down

It is a collocation with the meaning that they have survived through the ages until the present. It often is linked to possessions that are passed from one generation to the next: "The pictures in the house have come down to us from our ancestors."

There is no particular connection with "offerings".

Red face Re: as offerings that have come down

Thank you for your answering, Anglika,

O.K. I understand the usage of tense can depend on the meaning or collocation. But I still feel a little funny with the past tense of the clause "they were intended". May I understand like this?;

"~ I believe they were intended as gifts, as offering that (should) come down in the future, and indeed they have come down through all the ages until the present."

Or you don't say "come down in the future"??

My head starts to spin... Time/All the ages is too far to imagine...please help me.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Mil$ba; 26-Jun-2008 at 13:30. Reason: wanted to be more polite