• Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

ascribe

Hello everyone

I'd like to ask about the meaning of ascribe in the following text:

Goodreads | True and False: Heresy and Common Sense for the Actor

I have read tons of books on acting, and this is my favorite. Basically Mamet cuts through the bullshit. He sweeps aside all the pretension and crap and says, "Just say your freakin lines." There are a few famous actors who came up in Chicago working with Mamet and who ascribe to his methods -- William H. Macy is my favorite -- but most actors tend to pooh-pooh his ideas. Alec Baldwin said something like, "I disagree with everything Mamet says in this book, but I absolutely think all actors should read it."

Does "ascribe" mean "follow" in this case? I looked this word up in English dictionaries and failed to find this meaning:

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This as·cribe Audio Help (ə-skrīb') Pronunciation Key

tr.v. as·cribed, as·crib·ing, as·cribes
    1. To attribute to a specified cause, source, or origin: "Other people ascribe his exclusion from the canon to an unsubtle form of racism" (Daniel Pinchbeck). See Synonyms at attribute.
    2. To assign as a quality or characteristic: was quick to ascribe jealousy to her critics.

a·scrib'a·ble adj.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: ascribe

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone

I'd like to ask about the meaning of ascribe in the following text:

Goodreads | True and False: Heresy and Common Sense for the Actor

I have read tons of books on acting, and this is my favorite. Basically Mamet cuts through the bullshit. He sweeps aside all the pretension and crap and says, "Just say your freakin lines." There are a few famous actors who came up in Chicago working with Mamet and who ascribe to his methods -- William H. Macy is my favorite -- but most actors tend to pooh-pooh his ideas. Alec Baldwin said something like, "I disagree with everything Mamet says in this book, but I absolutely think all actors should read it."

Does "ascribe" mean "follow" in this case? I looked this word up in English dictionaries and failed to find this meaning:

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This as·cribe Audio Help (ə-skrīb') Pronunciation Key

tr.v. as·cribed, as·crib·ing, as·cribes
    1. To attribute to a specified cause, source, or origin: "Other people ascribe his exclusion from the canon to an unsubtle form of racism" (Daniel Pinchbeck). See Synonyms at attribute.
    2. To assign as a quality or characteristic: was quick to ascribe jealousy to her critics.

a·scrib'a·ble adj.
    I would say thar "ascribe" is mis-used here, I think it should be "subscribe".