Post improving pronunciation

Hello,

I am relly eager to know about the way one can improve his/her pronunciation. Iam always asking my self this question since I am a teacher of English I want to provide my students with the right pronunciation of English words.I know that it is impossible for a non native speaker to pronouce as a native one, but can we have a native like prunciation ?.If yes how can we achieve that ? Is it enough to listen to native speakers talking, or know most of the phonetic transcription of words?

Could you please give me your opinion about this issue .I am looking forward to hearing your reply.Thank you.

Re: improving pronunciation

I cannot offer an expert opinion, but it seems to me that, generally, people take on the accent of the people around them.

For instance, if an English person moves to America, very often they will eventually begin to speak, and pronounce their words, in an American accent.

I think being exposed to native English speakers as much as possible will help you to speak better English in a pronunciational sense.

I'm not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: improving pronunciation

Quote Originally Posted by dzineb View Post
    Hello,

I am relly eager to know about the way one can improve his/her pronunciation. Iam always asking my self this question since I am a teacher of English I want to provide my students with the right pronunciation of English words.I know that it is impossible for a non native speaker to pronouce as a native one, but can we have a native like prunciation ?.If yes how can we achieve that ? Is it enough to listen to native speakers talking, or know most of the phonetic transcription of words?

Could you please give me your opinion about this issue .I am looking forward to hearing your reply.Thank you.
    Hi, dzineb!
    I'm also an (non-native) English teacher, so I understand how you feel.
    Learning English phonetics could help you a lot, but the most efficient way to acquire good enough pronunciation skills(in my opinion) is...to imitate your favorite English speaker. It is desirable to get to know an English speaker and talk with him/her on a regular basis. You ask him/her to correct your pronunciation. However..it's not easy to do so. You don't have to make friends with native speakers, actually. If you have a cassette or CD(for listening practice), you can listen to it and repeat it again and again until you remember it. Just try to imitate the speaker(narrator), paying a lot of attention to his/her pronunciation, intonation, linking of sounds etc...I strongly recommend you record your voice(pronunciation) and check it afterwards. I believe pronunciation skills improve under strict correction. "Shadowing" (following the speaker like a "shadow") is a good practice, too, I think.

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.
    Good luck.