Question Aesthetic canons of/for(?)

Dear teachers,

I wonder what preposition is to go after "canon", as in: " a violation of aesthetic canons of/for(?) female attractiveness". To me "of" seems better, but is "for" also possible? And, in general, is there an online site/dictionary where an ESL speaker can look up for the correct prepositions to go with a word or a phrase (especially if it is not a set phrase)? I often use Oxford Collocations Dictionary for such references, but there are words (like 'canon', for example) that it (at least the 2002 edition) does not include.

I will appreciate your time, answers, and/or advice.

Regards,
    Stela

Re: Aesthetic canons of/for(?)

The consensus of the BNC and ANC is that "canons of" is the norm, "canon of" is evident but rare, and "canons for" is very rare.

It is worth using them as a guide - but not as rulebook. The link is [Davies/BYU] BYU-BNC: British National Corpus

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

a violation of aesthetic canons for female attractiveness".

I prefer "for"

wearing red lipstick is a violation for (this category)

susieqq:
    NEVER

can you find a few full sentence examples, if not from a Corpus, even from...yes...the Internet - so we can really witness this phenomenon, this travesty of language.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

From Criteria and Canons
    members.aol.com/MG4273.canon.htm

Canons

Canons are very controversial today. I would like to stick my oar in these troubled waters. I neither think that existing canons are perfect, nor rather that they are an abomination. Rather, the point of view expressed here, is that canons are a good thing, in branches of art where there are clear criteria for excellence. In literature, such branches include poetry, mystery fiction, and the drama. In such branches, the majority of the canonized works are good, and should be left in the canons. But many deserving works have been omitted, often due to such factors as obscurity and bigotry. Critics need to research and include such works, to make bigger, more inclusive, and hence better canons for the future. By contrast, in fields where there are no clear criteria, such as literary fiction, canons are often a mess. Works have been included arbitrarily, and inclusion and disinclusion seems to be at random. The problem in these fields is not canons per se, but a complete lack of open thinking and discussion about what the critics value in a work of art.

Canons are much less controversial in fields where there are clear criteria, because readers can independently judge whether a work should be included. Where there are no criteria, the canon simply becomes a voice of irrational authority.

Canons are especially important in teaching newcomers about a branch of art. They have their greatest value in encouraging students to experience certain works. This is why the field of African American Studies, for example, is working so hard to today to build canons - it wants a way for young people to experience the best works of a neglected literature.

Canons are worst when they are used to exclude or hide works of art from view. Given the incompleteness of even the best current canons, using a work's absence from existing canons to discourage people from studying it is especially illogical.

My not so modest hope is that we - mystery fandom - can build good canons for the study of mystery fiction. I hope that the recommended reading lists in this website can serve as contributions to such a canon. Of course, a real canon for mystery fiction will be much, much bigger than the reading lists here, and include many works I have not read yet, or even heard of.
    To build canons, we will have to discuss authors' works novel by novel and short story by short story. All too often, mystery criticism in the past has only rated authors as a whole. Worse, it has often not even rated writers - instead we get statements like "Rex Stout is one of the most prominent modern mystery writers". Well, does the critic really think he is any good? If so, which of his works are outstanding? These are the questions we have to answer to build a canon.

We are discussing 'canons of' (as in, similarly, 'the epitome of') where the noun after the preposition defines what the 'canon' is, or the 'epitome'.
    "The appointment of his nephew violated the canons of fair play and equal opportunity."
    To go off at a tangent and refer to constructions like, '...the epitome for all mankind to witness."
    Your quote gives examples such as 'canons for the future' . One could just as easily say 'canons' takes the preposition 'in':
    "The appointment of his nephew violated the canons of fair play and equal opportunity. Such canons in the workplace should be as sacrosantc...."

I understood both the proper preposition needed in the context of my question and the possible connotations if "cannon/s" is used with a preposition other than "of".

Thank you all for your answers!

Regards,
    Stela

Very gracious...and diplomatic of you, Stela.