• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Nicolas Sarkozy

PARIS–It is not even remotely the script Nicolas Sarkozy envisioned when he seized the reins of France so forcefully last May. Nowhere in his grand projet to remake the country was there a blueprint for the president to morph instead into the unpredictable half of a modern-day Sonny and Cher.
    Hi! I couldn't understand above sentence hightlighted in blue. Could you please recast and make it simpler, and interpret it?

What is the connotation of "Cher"? I just learned it is a river in France.

Thank you very much!

Nowhere in his grand projet to remake the country was there a blueprint for the president to morph instead into the unpredictable half of a modern-day Sonny and Cher.

Nowhere in his great plan to remake France is there a blueprint [designer's diagram] for the president to change into the unpredictable half [the half that does things unexpectedly] of a modern day Sonny and Cher [Sonny and Cher = an American singing duo of the 1960s-70s. The actress Cher is the female half. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_&_Cher

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile Re: Nicolas Sarkozy

Anglika,

Glad to meet you and thank you for your help. I knew " Sonny and Cher" now.

I don't have another problems about the words but I am bewildered by the structure of the sentence. Is it inverted sentence? Which parts are the subject, the predicate and objective respectively? Could you make it in natural order?

Thanks in advance!

Nowhere in his grand projet to remake the country was there a blueprint for the president to morph instead into the unpredictable half of a modern-day Sonny and Cher.

Yes - it is inverted.

There was no blueprint in his grand projet to remake the country for the president to morph instead into the unpredictable half of a modern day Sonny and Cher.

Subject clause - There is no blueprint
    Object clause - for the president ..... Cher.

((I've just connected the Sonny and Cher reference: Szarkosy's wife is a singer.))

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post

((I've just connected the Sonny and Cher reference: Szarkosy's wife is a singer.))
    Hi Anglika,

It is way clearer now after you recast it.

I have percieved that too. And Sonny turned himself into a politico in his latter career. The writer made a comparison between the two couples.

Thank you very much!