Cloze Test

Choose the most suitable word from the 4 given:

'It's commonly observed,' wrote Dr.Johnson, 'that when two Englishmen meet, their first talk is of the weather.An Englishmen's notice of the weather is the 1.(usual.natural,ordinary,fair) consequence of changeable skies and uncertain seasons.' Dr. Johnson might have added that we notice it even more when the weather does not change.I'm writting in the last week of August in what in any other year would be 2.(considered,concerned,remarked,regarded) as the most perfect weather.I find it hard to believe that because the weather has been behaving recently in what seems an uncharacteristic way, the nature of our climate is really changing.Having in the course of my profession had an occasion to compile chronological records of the weather for several periods of our past,I'm convinced that in the long run our weather is 3.(unexpected,unpredictable,unforseen,unanticipate d).My personal experience confirms me in this belief.
    For more than a third of my life I 4.(used,was used,am used,have used) to farm,and farming is subject 5.(of,to,on,for) the sudden changes of the English climate.Our farming ancestors-and most of the 6.(innate,ingenuous,ingenious,indigenous) people of this country, are descended from peasants who were 7.(dependable,reliable,dependent,responsible) for their livelihood on the soil and climate.They were so subjected to our weather's caprices that they instinctively possessed the habit of basing their actions on the 8.(conditions,circumstances,environment,occasion) of the hour.To do otherwise, their racial 9.(know-how,trial,experience,experiment) warned them, would be to act inappropriately and, from a financial point of view, disastrously.This is why we were, until we became predominantly urban folk, accustomed to regard circumstances as they arose with humorous and tolerant 10.(resignation,reservation,realization,reconsider ation) based on the knowledge that when the weather changed, it would probably change for the better.It often rains in England but seldom for too long.The same is true of sunshine and drought.

My answers:1-matural;2-considered;3-unpredictable;4-used;5-to;6-indigenous;7-responsible;8-conditions;9-experience;10-reconsideration

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Cloze Test

Quote Originally Posted by ocean_soul View Post
    Choose the most suitable word from the 4 given:

'It's commonly observed,' wrote Dr.Johnson, 'that when two Englishmen meet, their first talk is of the weather.An Englishmen's notice of the weather is the 1.(usual.natural,ordinary,fair) consequence of changeable skies and uncertain seasons.' Dr. Johnson might have added that we notice it even more when the weather does not change.I'm writting in the last week of August in what in any other year would be 2.(considered,concerned,remarked,regarded) as the most perfect weather.I find it hard to believe that because the weather has been behaving recently in what seems an uncharacteristic way, the nature of our climate is really changing.Having in the course of my profession had an occasion to compile chronological records of the weather for several periods of our past,I'm convinced that in the long run our weather is 3.(unexpected,unpredictable,unforseen,unanticipate d).My personal experience confirms me in this belief.
    For more than a third of my life I 4.(used,was used,am used,have used) to farm,and farming is subject 5.(of,to,on,for) the sudden changes of the English climate.Our farming ancestors-and most of the 6.(innate,ingenuous,ingenious,indigenous) people of this country, are descended from peasants who were 7.(dependable,reliable,dependent,responsible) for their livelihood on the soil and climate.They were so subjected to our weather's caprices that they instinctively possessed the habit of basing their actions on the 8.(conditions,circumstances,environment,occasion) of the hour.To do otherwise, their racial 9.(know-how,trial,experience,experiment) warned them, would be to act inappropriately and, from a financial point of view, disastrously.This is why we were, until we became predominantly urban folk, accustomed to regard circumstances as they arose with humorous and tolerant 10.(resignation,reservation,realization,reconsider ation) based on the knowledge that when the weather changed, it would probably change for the better.It often rains in England but seldom for too long.The same is true of sunshine and drought.

My answers:1-matural;2-considered;3-unpredictable;4-used;5-to;6-indigenous;7-responsible;8-conditions;9-experience;10-reconsideration
    For 2. I would say regarded. For 7. dependant. For 8. circumstances. For 9. know-how. For 10. resignation.