• Post Thanks / Like

look at

Hi,
    I was wondering if anybody could take look for me at this phrase "look at",
    I am not pretty sure what the meaning of this one is in this context. Thanks for your help.

Student: Uh, Professor Green, I have some quick questions about how to write up the research project I did this semester-about climate variations.

Professor: Oh, yes. You were looking at variations in climate in the Oak Park area, right? How far along have you gotten?

Student: I have got all my data, starting to summarize it now, but I am just...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: look at

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anybody could take look for me at this phrase "look at",
    I am not pretty sure what the meaning of this one is in this context. Thanks for your help.

Student: Uh, Professor Green, I have some quick questions about how to write up the research project I did this semester-about climate variations.

Professor: Oh, yes. You were looking at variations in climate in the Oak Park area, right? How far along have you gotten?

Student: I have got all my data, starting to summarize it now, but I am just...
    You were looking at variations in climate in the Oak Park area, right? In this sentence "looking at" means "studying".

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    You were looking at variations in climate in the Oak Park area, right? In this sentence "looking at" means "studying".
    Hi, bhaisahab,

Thanks for your help.

By the way, I hope you could take a look for me at this sentence.
    After the professor explains how to write up the research project, in the end, the student says:

Student: Yes, it ends up that I have data on more than just the immediate Oak Park area, so I also included some regional data in the report. With everything else it should be a pretty good indicator of the climate in this part of the state.

Professor: Sounds good. I would be happy to look over a draft version before you hand in the final copy, if you wish.

What does "immediate" mean here? I can not get this sentence, I mean, I do not know what the student is talking about.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi, bhaisahab,

Thanks for your help.

By the way, I hope you could take a look for me at this sentence.
    After the professor explains how to write up the research project, in the end, the student says:

Student: Yes, it ends up that I have data on more than just the immediate Oak Park area, so I also included some regional data in the report. With everything else it should be a pretty good indicator of the climate in this part of the state.

Professor: Sounds good. I would be happy to look over a draft version before you hand in the final copy, if you wish.

What does "immediate" mean here? I can not get this sentence, I mean, I do not know what the student is talking about.

Thank you.
    I have data on more than just the immediate Oak Park area,
    This means
    that the student has data on a larger area than just the area around and close to Oak Park. "Immediate area" means the area very close by.
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 01-Jul-2008 at 17:54. Reason: afterthought

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I have data on more than just the immediate Oak Park area,
    This means that the student has data on a larger area than just the area around and close to Oak Park. "Immediate area" means the area very close by.
    Hi, bhaisahab,

Thank you, I get it.