• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

just because=even though

Do you think we can paraphrase (1) as (2)?

(1) Just because he is your brother(, it) does not mean you have to defend everything Ed does.
    (2) Even though he is your brother, you don't have to defend everything Ed does.

Thank you in advance
    Seiichi MYOGA

Re: just because=even though

There is a difference.

Just because of something = Simply because

Even though = Although

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Seiichi MYOGA View Post

(1) Just because he is your brother(, it) does not mean you have to defend everything Ed does.=you should not defend him, no good reason.
    (2) Even though he is your brother, you don't have to defend everything Ed does. You may well defend him, you have a good reason.

Thank you in advance
    Seiichi MYOGA
    I bet, for some people there is no difference, I mean at first sight.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Seiichi MYOGA View Post

(1) Just because he is your brother(, it) does not mean you have to defend everything Ed does.
    (2) Even though he is your brother, you don't have to defend everything Ed does.

Thank you in advance
    Seiichi MYOGA
    I'm not a teacher, and so I would say that while Anglika's probably correct from a teaching/grammar perspective, banderas is probably right on the money in terms of usage. I think most native speakers would understand the difference between the two phrase but would also be quite used to hearing them used interchangeably. I think banderas' comment "at first sight" was good because the first impression is one of sameness, with the different nuances coming through on consideration or reflection. If you're aiming for precision of expression, keep in mind the explanation Anglika gave. Just because (even though) there is a technical difference, that doesn't mean that the distinction will be observed in everyday usage.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Dear all,

I thank each and every one of you, especially stuartnz, for their help and comments.

Quote Originally Posted by stuartnz View Post
    I think most native speakers would understand the difference between the two phrase but would also be quite used to hearing them used interchangeably. ... Just because (even though) there is a technical difference, that doesn't mean that the distinction will be observed in everyday usage.

If I correctly understand, (1) has more to do with (3).

(3) You don't have to defend everything Ed does (just) because he is your brother. (where "not" modifies the part "have to ... your brother.")

In my understanding, (3) may be used to deny the assumption that (you think) your addressee has that the mere mention of the fact that he is "your" brother can justify his or her point that "you" have to defend everything Ed does.

Is that it?

Seiichi MYOGA