What a pity!

Pls help to correct the grammar in the below sentences, thanks.

Yesterday, I spent my whole afternoon in studying a problem in automatic control field. I was feeling so tired while going back home. Suddenly, an English speaker asked me how to go to a massage place. Indeed, I do not know the exact place where the massage parlor is, I just could remember that maybe it is at the second or the third cross. But at that time, I really did not know how to discrib it more clearly to him, for my oral English is so bad. So I told him to go to next cross and then turn left. I was thinking he was approaching the destination.
    What a pity! If I could speak English more fluently, the poor guy can find the destination more quickly. Maybe I should go to the English corner and continue practising.

Thanks again
    Last edited by wuwei; 02-Jul-2008 at 01:08.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Smile Re: What a pity!

Quote Originally Posted by wuwei View Post

Yesterday, I spent my whole afternoon studying a problem in the automatic control field. I was so tired going back home. Suddenly, an English speaker asked me how to go to a massage parlor. Sadly, I did not know exactly where the massage parlor was. I could only remember that it might have been at the second or the third cross/intersection. But at the time, I really did not know how to discribe it clearly to him, because my oral English is so bad.

So I told him to go to the next cross and turn left. I thought he would get to where he was going.
    What a pity! If only I could speak English more fluently, then that poor guy could have found the parlor quicker. Maybe I should go to the English corner and continue practising.

Thanks again
    Good job! Just watch out for your tense. You are writing about something that happened yesturday so most of it should be in the simple past.

Free writing lessons for all forms of writing. HereI am helping a friend, Arturo, with his writing skills and you can improve as well. There you can correct his letter and then compare your corrections to mine to see how many mistakes you found.

All the best,
    Diana Tower
    Last edited by English-coach; 25-Jan-2009 at 13:48.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: What a pity!

Say:
    Please correct the grammar in the following sentences.
    Yesterday, I spent my whole afternoon in studying a problem in the automatic control field. I worked so hard that day that I was feeling very tired on the way home. An English speaker spoke to me and asked me directions to a massage parlor.
    We do not say Suddenly, a man spoke to me. Here are some uses of suddenly:
    Suddenly, a man appeared before me.
    Suddenly, a car crashed into the train.
    Suddenly, he was hit by a rock.
    Suddenly, a thought occurred to me.
    I assume that you saw the man before he spoke to you. So his speaking to you was not a sudden occurrence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: What a pity!

Indeed, I do not know the exact place where the massage parlor is, I just could remember that maybe it is at the second or the third cross. But at that time, I really did not know how to discrib it more clearly to him, for my oral English is so bad. So I told him to go to next cross and then turn left. I was thinking he was approaching the destination.
    What a pity! If I could speak English more fluently, the poor guy can find the destination more quickly. Maybe I should go to the English corner and continue practising.
    I do not know exactly where the massage parlor is, but I do know it is at the second or third intersection. However, at that time I did not know how to explain that clearly because my spoken English is so bad. So I told him to go to next interesection and then turn left. I think he was approaching the destination.

What a pity! If I could speak English more fluently, the poor guy could find the destination more quickly. Maybe I should go to the English corner and continue practising.