• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

What does LISIBILITY mean?

Hi guys, the topic of the message says it all :)

i haven't got a clue of what it means? is it formal? sicentific? is it english?

thanks

PAT

Re: What does LISIBILITY mean?

or is it a plain old down-to-earth typo for 'visibility' ?
    or
    If spoek by someone Chinese, and this is reported speech, then 'risibility' (=the ability or inclination to laugh)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

:) I don't think it's a typo.... I actually found it in a scientific document that i have been sent....

I'm 100% sure that the first letter is L... as it is the extended of an acronym...

I searched the internet with Google...and I found the word , but I can't make up the meaning as well

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by trapanipalermo View Post
    :) I don't think it's a typo.... I actually found it in a scientific document that i have been sent....

I'm 100% sure that the first letter is L... as it is the extended of an acronym...

I searched the internet with Google...and I found the word , but I can't make up the meaning as well
    "Lisible", "Lisibilité" these words are French and they mean, respectively, "readable", readability".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

OK... and that word just does not fit in

It really would help to have the sentence

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by trapanipalermo View Post

Aha - that could be the clue. Any new technology can have an 'ability' abstract noun coined for it. Look at Google: the word could be found by Google - it had 'Googleability'.

Or, to take another example using an acronym - "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation". LASER eye surgery involves the use of a laser beam (we don't often use the capitals nowadays, and in the case of this sort of surgery - 'laser surgery' - there's a case for saying that it'd be wrong to use capitals, because in that context 'laser' is not a noun [which happens to have been formed on the basis of an acronym] but an adjective, referring to a sort of surgery that uses such a beam but probably other things as well. In a preliminary examination, the surgeon decides whether such surgery is possible. S/he might say "Unfortunately, this patient is not 'laser'able".

So, with acronyms and new technology come neologisms. There was (maybe still is) an experimental web-bot that used artificial intelligence programming to hold a conversation. It was called LISA. Perhaps your word has something to do with this.

Alternatively, I have a vague feeling that in some applications - Optical Character Recognition? - a distinction is made between something being legible (that is, readable by the human eye) and ???lisible (processable by OCR). But I'm guessing here.

As others have said, we really need context.

b
    Last edited by BobK; 01-Jul-2008 at 17:25.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

If a text is lisible, it can be read in a fairly literal manner; the reader doesn't have to construct meanings.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

This accounts for my penultimate point. I had a feeling there was some fine distinction between legible and lisible.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    If a text is lisible, it can be read in a fairly literal manner; the reader doesn't have to construct meanings.

This meaning of lisible, which would seem to be a borrowing from the French, has not yet made it to the OED, which lists only an obsolete definition of "lawful, permissible", with one quote from the 15th Century and one from the 16th. Merriam-Webster and OneLook also both come up empty on this one. It seems that the defintion above was coined by Roland Barthes, and judging by the paucity of listings in dictionaries, the meaning he chose to give it has yet to cement itself in English. Unless of course, it's a term of art.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast