Student or Learner
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Congo
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

Please refer to the following dialogue. I don't understand why Thomas is using 'would be fine' instead of 'will be fine'. Is he not sure whether he would get the appointment?

Thomas: I was wondering if I could get an appointment. I have a tooth that has been bothering me for a while.
Receptionist: Well, if you are free this afternoon, we have had a cancellation for three 'o' clock.
Thomas: That would be fine.

Thanks,

MG.

Kraken

Member Type
Student or Learner
He is answering in a polite way and not talking about the future. Hence "will be" is less suitable while "would be" is fine.
But I am not a teacher. ;-)

Last edited:

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Hi,

Please refer to the following dialogue. I don't understand why Thomas is using 'would be fine' instead of 'will be fine'. Is he not sure whether he would get the appointment?

Thomas: I was wondering if I could get an appointment. I have a tooth that has been bothering me for a while.
Receptionist: Well, if you are free this afternoon, we have had a cancellation for three 'o' clock.
Thomas: That would be fine.

Thomas could answer with either "will be fine" or "would be fine". Both say, "I'm certain that will work". Using 'would' just makes it more polite, less demanding, more gracious, ...

That'll be fine.

That will be fine.

That'd be fine.

That would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.