• Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

none of

Hi,

Because none of food is as nutritious for a baby as its motherís milk, many women are returning to the practice of breast breeding.

I know that "none of" is not correct. It should be "no". Please explain when "none of" is used.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: none of

Quote Originally Posted by mylevt View Post
    Hi,

Because none of food is as nutritious for a baby as its mother’s milk, many women are returning to the practice of breast breeding.

I know that "none of" is not correct. It should be "no". Please explain when "none of" is used.

Thanks.
    You can't have a noun directly following "none of". You need to have a word like the, that, those, it, my, his, between "none of" and the noun.

You can say things like 'none of the people', 'none of those cars', 'none of his friends', 'none of it'.
    Last edited by 2006; 03-Jul-2008 at 06:27. Reason: add missing word

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: none of

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    You can't have a noun directly following "none of". You need to have a word like the, that, those, it, my, his, between "none of" and the noun.

You can say things like 'none of the people', 'none of those cars', 'none of his friends', 'none of it'.
    I should add that the same applies to 'all of', 'some of', 'a (few)(little) of, 'half of'.