• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

poised/poised to bring/poised to look/poised to rely/poised to growth

Dear teachers,

I know the content of the Matthew’s verse 5:39:

“But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.”

He begins by instructing us not to escalate the situation by stubborn resistance or, worse still, by perpetrating an additional offense. The Interpreter's Bible comments on the latter half of the verse:

"A blow with the back of the hand to the right cheek was an insult, thus the palm of the hand was now poised to bring a blow to the left cheek."

Would you be kind enough to interpret me the proper meaning of the word “poised” in the present case. I grasped the meaning of the whole sentence but the the usage of “poice” beats me.

The same holds true in respect of the expression “In contrast to the 1960s, the United States now appeared poised to bring democracy and wealth to long-repressed and impoverished lands”, “Poised to look for a moment, lest my own eyes fill witli foolish ”, “An Empire Poised for Growth” and “Poised to rely on low-grade' ore deposits to an increasing extent.”.

Regards.

V.

Re: poised/poised to bring/poised to look/poised to rely/poised to growth

In this context, it indicates the moment just before the hand begins to move towards the face to hit it.

In your other samples, There is the same implication of a moment just before something happens.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: poised/poised to bring/poised to look/poised to rely/poised to growth

Hi Anglika,

Thank you for your expert explanation. Now with the help of you I know even the meaning of the expression “poised for flight”. Thank you again for your help.

Regards.

V.