• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

tit-for-tat

Dear teachers,

There is again the mentioned before Bible’s verse, which attracted my attention

"But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also" (Matthew 5:39).

In a situation like this, the first thing that comes to most minds is revenge. Jesus desires that, rather than avenging oneself and acting with the same attitude of hatred as the aggressor, we reflect our calling and suppress the urge to seek vengeance. We should even be willing to take a second slap, this one from the other's open hand, without retaliation. Such pacifism usually pours cold water on the situation, avoiding further tit-for-tat retribution.

Would you be kind enough tell me whether the expression “tit-for-tat” is equivalent to “an eye for an eye”, “a tooth for a tooth”, “measure for measure”, “like for like” or “a tip for tap”?

Regards.

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: tit-for-tat

Yes, you seem to understand the meaning -- also called, in Latin, 'quid pro quo'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: tit-for-tat

Hi Raymott,

Thank you for your prompt and affirmative reply as well as for your Latin interpretation.

Regards.

V.