Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Is this right?

I think that Soup's wonderfully concise and simple summary from page 1 of this thread deserves repeating:

• Do people say it? Yes.
  • Is it considered Standard English? No.
And now I ain't got no need to say nothing more about it. ;-)
:up:

There are those that say that double negatives are not logical, but they follow their own logic in the dialects that use them.

Unfortunately, prescriptivists have had way too much influence and have led us to disparage our own language or speakers of that language.
:-(

NanetteDee

Member Type
Other

Well, I might sound silly and excessive but I just feel the urge to contribute my two cents to this funny discussion.

At school, in English class, we were tought that a double negative is incorrect. You don't want to say "I don't know nothing", "Don't sign nothing". You say, instead, "I know nothing/ I don't know anything" "Sign nothing/Don't sign anything."
These, I've always believed, are basics.

Yet when you come to live in the English-speaking country, as it happened to me, people are not going to always speak the correct English for you. So, I believe, we, non-native speakers, should be aware of such expressions to exist and understand them. But we don't have to use them...

And indeed -- "Don't sigh nothing" sounds awfully clumsy even for my foreign ear.

$portytheking

Member Type
Student or Learner

techniccally no it not the right term would be if you said i cant do othing it would be i cant do anything;-)

magelarocque

Member Type
English Teacher

No. You have used a double negative. The correct sentence would be: Don't sign anything.
If you say "Don't sign nothing", you are telling someone to sign something.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

No. You have used a double negative. The correct sentence would be: Don't sign anything.
If you say "Don't sign nothing", you are telling someone to sign something.
If your first language is English then you should know better. English is not mathematics. Two negatives do not cancel each other out and produce a positive. Don't sign nothing does not mean Sign something. Sometimes "English" teachers do tell us such things, but what we learn from real life tells us something different.

:roll:

iconoclast

Member Type
Academic

No one has mentioned that double negative has a long and respectable pedigree, although my Swiss cheese of a memory can recall offhand no example from Old English, Chaucer, or Shakespeare. Double negative was one of the grammatical deadly sins outlawed by the Enlightenment standardisers of English, while their French counterparts, allegedly the most logical of the lot, were quite content to keep it, as is still the case in Standard French. Portuguese and Spanish are even more fun, allowing multiple negatives, e.g. Spanish 'Nadie no me dijo nada sobre nada', which literally translates as 'Nobody didn't tell me nothing about nothing', i.e. 'Nobody told me anything about anything' in Standard English.

iconoclast

Member Type
Academic
apologies to stuartnz

Sorry, I missed stuartnz's post mentioning the Medieval Mangler, aka Chaucer.

anupumh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

It is very right and proper to indicate to a learner that there is a correct and an incorrect form. Whether the incorrect form is also a colloquially used one may be interesting, but does not help the learner who is trying to pass a test or complete an assignment.

More advanced learners may well find suitable opportunities to use colloquial forms in acceptable ways.

Soapboxes are slippery things to stand on.

What is meant by this statement in this particular context?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

What is meant by this statement in this particular context?
She was referring (I am sure) to Riverkid's post ( https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/general-members-discussions/72385-right.html#post316941 ). There is some disagreement about using the words correct and incorrect regarding English usage.

If you look up soabox, that might be helpful.
:)

johncalloway

Member Type
Student or Learner

well this usage is definitely wrong as double negatives are supposed to be incorrect.... Instead we say "I don't know anything"....
This double negative approach to english speaking actually sounds better in Hollywood movies during some conversation between gangsters.... :)
Else its no good use....

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

this usage is definitely wrong
"I don't know nothing" is definitely wrong? That, as this thread shows, is a matter of opinion. Some people definitely do think it is wrong. Others disagree. Whether is it is wrong or not would have to depend--at least in part--on context.

:roll:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I recently read this in a book:
I didn't see nothing. I didn't hear nothing neither.

Hm.

DougLewis

Member Type
English Teacher
"Language for communication" and "language for tests"... may need separate approaches.

Need dictates requirement.

Trying to assist ESL students is a very fine line to walk, knowing what they require from a contextual perspective is often more difficult than providing a "technical" answer.

My hat is off to everyone who tries to help.

I am sure all answers are appreciated... even if they only raise more questions.

While there is discourse, there is learning.

Janvier

Member Type
Student or Learner
don't sign nothing

is that a correct way of saying it????

when two negatives are used in a single sentence, it does not make much sense, it more like you are trying to make the sentence positive. so, don't sign nothing is grammatically incorrect, it's better to say don't sign anything.

DougLewis

Member Type
English Teacher
when two negatives are used in a single sentence, it does not make much sense, it more like you are trying to make the sentence positive. so, don't sign nothing is grammatically incorrect, it's better to say don't sign anything.

It also begs the question, "how does one sign nothing?"

Perhaps with invisible ink (Groan)

Devd

Member Type
English Teacher
Don't sign nothing- is a double negetive and is usually not the most acceptable modal of the language(until its a poem or a song). It should be avoided

Status
Not open for further replies.