Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

Re: Is the author of this essay a native speaker of English or not?

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post

And i suspect that the poster knows full well this is not from a native speaker and is testing whether the author (himself??) is passing for kosher(=genuine).
    Despite my own views on the paragraph in question, I assumed from the very outset that this was the case. A Turing test of sorts seemed the most obvious rationale for the post.

Key Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    When I was a kid, I had this dream of becoming a great football player. I was really good at football, and there was nothing stopping me from making my dream come true, except me.I tried a lot of different sports, and was even a member of the national mountain runners team. [add in something here about why/how you stopped yourself from realizing your dream] At the age of 18, however, I realized that I wasn't going to make it as a professional football player, that sports were not all that important in the real world, and that I would have to do something else with my life. [add in something here about why you had to make that decision] I do not regret my decision, and I am still in love with sports. Whenever I play football or basketball, people around me are amazed at how good I am. They can't believe I am not a professional player. I just have a natural talent for sports. Who knows, maybe I should follow my passion and make a fortune like Frank Lampard. Then again, when you do something every day, your passion gradually becomes your profession and is no longer any fun any more. So, no regrets. I followed my dream in part; I kept my passion from becoming a boring routine.

I can see the difference now.

[1] I tried many different sports and__even was a member of national team of moutnain runners. <Alternatively, and I was even ...>
    Is it always wrong to omitt "I"? Does it have to be repeated in the same sentence?

[2] At the age of 18 I decided that sport should not be so important and__chose to do something else for living. <Alternatively, and (so) I chose ...>
    Banderas, is there any particular reason why the paragraph should be written by a native speaker? That is, why did you ask the question in post
    I am going to answer your question very soon.

#1?
    Thanks for your effort again, Soup.

3. Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

I forgot to mention Frank Lampard: the example suggests a BrE context, but

1. Wherever I go and play football or basketball, people around me are amazed how good I am. They cannot believe that I was never a professional

doesn't.

MrP

Not a professional ESL teacher.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Austria

Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Hi, Bea,
    so you did not find it...What do you mean by "quite interesting"?
    Well, only non-native speakers (of French,Italian and Czech nationality) seem to have had dreams to become great football players.

I came across quite a few posts of almost the same wording on several Italian , French as well as Hungarian and Czech high school home pages.

You wouldn't be testing us by any chance?

Last edited by beascarpetta; 05-Jul-2008 at 13:35.

Key Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    And i suspect that the poster knows full well this is not from a native speaker and is testing whether the author (himself??) is passing for kosher(=genuine).
    Quote Originally Posted by beascarpetta View Post
    In my humble opinion, any upper-intermediate ESL student could have writteten this

Banderas, is there any particular reason why the paragraph should be written by a native speaker? That is, why did you ask the question in post #1?
    Thank you again for your opinions!

The author of this paragraph is...a native speaker of English. He is bilingual, born and growing up in London. Note that a different language is spoken at home as his parents are immigrants. Most of his friends are immigrants too. The reason I posted this essay is he gave me the same story and asked the same question. I was suspicious but (I) concluded that omitting "I" (as I did before concluded) is not such a serious mistake. And the thing with "dream to become" made me really think but finally I realised that this construction could be used by a native and I even found one example in BNC. I agree with you that this composition is not perfect whatsoever but wanted to see what you have to say, Dear Teachers and Members.

Next thing I thought of is that I could not write it as well as Soup did. Perhaps I should focus more on my English and with your help I should be able to improve someone's else composition in future?

Last but not least, David said that natives do not care about the words so much as non-natives do. Can I ask you, David, to go into more details about this statement, please?

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Austria

So he speaks Polish both at home and with his friends?

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by banderas
    [1] I tried many different sports and even was a member of national team of moutnain runners.
    Quote Originally Posted by banderas

Is it always wrong to omitt "I"? Does it have to be repeated in the same sentence?
    It's not wrong to omit "I". We were looking at the pattern: the writer consistently omits the second subject as if knowing by some rule that that is what native speakers do. They don't always do that by the way--there is a rule to it (see below), and students of English are taught that, especially in Reading, which tells me that the pattern I see is suspect. Note the comma and word order here:
    Ex: I tried different sports, and was even ...
    Students of English are taught to omit the comma, but that's not what native speakers might actually do. Note the word 'might' here:
    In sentences such as The visitors complained loudly about the heat, yet they continued to play golf every day, the pronoun subject of the second clause ("they," in this case) is often left out. When that happens, the comma preceding the conjunction might also disappear [but it isn't a rule]: The visitors complained loudly yet continued to play golf every day.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/conjunctions.htm

Key Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I forgot to mention that I had a nice feeling reading the first posts as I thought to myself: "Gee, I could write anything at this level"

Quote Originally Posted by stuartnz View Post
    Like riverkid, I'm finding it hard to say. I might actually say 60/40 for native over non-native, because the overall fliuency is quite high
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    It certainly could have been written by a native speaker. But it is impossible to say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    It flows quite well.
    Quote Originally Posted by tedtmc View Post
    I would think the author of the 'essay' is a native speaker just from the chatty demeanor and the tendency to ramble.
    Not that I'm say all native speakers are like that.
    But then, some of you took me down to earth... which is good for me, honestly. Thanks all of you!!! You are great!!!

A non-native speaker wrote this. For example, the writer has low-level errors that a native speaker wouldn't make; e.g.,
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic View Post

I would say "possibly not"; indicators of non-native origin are:

Well, I am not a teacher, I am not a NES and so on, but I could have written that essay. I don't mean I'm proficient at English, nor even half-good. But I find it completely different from the English books I use to read.
    Sometimes I could say that someone is not a Spanish native by the way they speak/write, but then I realize that they could come from another Spanish-speaker country. That could explain why I feel uncomfortable with any expressions they produce.
    The original question is a bit ambiguous to me. Please define Native English Speaker. Are we referring only to BE and AmE? Then I would expect mistakes like "I would of thought".
    In my honest opinion, the author is not either British nor American. Maybe he has been speaking "English" since he was a child, but he does not show the skills one could expect from a NES.

As I always state, I am not a teacher. But I love the English Language and I have been around. ;)

Key Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by beascarpetta View Post
    So he speaks Polish both at home and with his friends?
    Yes, Bea, he does. I mean with most of his friends. That could be an explanation for his level of English. I could say that growing up in England and going to English schools does not make him a 100% native. What do you think?

Page 5 of 11 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Last