How to speak english fluently

Hello, Iam working as admin assistant in Iraq I have need to learn american english because here all people are americans. When they are speaking iam understand but did't answering to them thats my problem please help me how can i speak fluently. In this message may be some mistakes but what can i do. my frist luanguage is telugu and my vacubulory are not good.

Re: How to speak english fluently

Quote Originally Posted by crishchett View Post
    Hello, Iam working as admin assistant in Iraq I have need to learn american english because here all people are americans. When they are speaking iam understand but did't answering to them thats my problem please help me how can i speak fluently. In this message may be some mistakes but what can i do. my frist luanguage is telugu and my vacubulory are not good.
    Howdy, Crischett.

You are building fluency just by listening. Think of yourself as a seed. Does it pop out of the ground with a flower the moment after it is planted? No, it needs to be watered and it needs to take nutrients from the soil. If you continue to have this degree of exposure, you'll one day virtually explode into speech.

If you want speed the process up, try to repeat what you hear other English speakers saying, not out loud of course but to yourself. Then at home try to say as much as you can remember. Each aspect of "speech" needs varying degrees of warming up.

Watch movies and try to repeat what you hear. Do simple speech exercises at home.

I'm going to point to the fridge. [points to fridge, hands down] I pointed to the fridge. I'm pointing to the bathroom/TV/radio/...

Your writing is quite good. Don't worry about spelling mistakes. And don't worry about a small vocabulary. That'll grow with time. Right now you have to focus on understanding and exercising your speech.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Well one important thing you already have, someone to talk to in English. One good way you can improve if you're not yet comfortable with your English is reading out loud. When you can do that of course. For example, you can read what riverkid has written if you have the opportunity.

I'm just a student. So it's up to you whether taking the advice into consideration.

Thank you verymuch riverkid now iam understood. but some times they are speaking very fast what to do at that time if they are speaking fast i didn't do any thing. your suggetion are very good i'll try to continue them ok thanks

Thank you verymuch riverkid now iam understood. but some times they are speaking very fast what to do at that time if they are speaking fast i didn't do any thing. your suggetion are very good i'll try to continue them ok thanks
    There is no way that you're going to get speakers of English to slow things down to your rate of comprehension, Crishchett. That's why you are going to have to increase your level of comprehension.

First thing to realize is that we don't speak like the worlds you see written before you. Speech comes much faster with the sounds more compressed;

I'm going to go to the bathroom. -> I'm gunnagotathe bathroom.

I will see you on Friday. -> Alseeyaon Friday.

Just keep trying to replicate the sounds. If you're not sure what was said, ask the person, they'll probably be more than willing to help.
    Last edited by riverkid; 06-Jul-2008 at 22:06.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

In addition to the fine advice from riverkid, I'd just like to add that your perception of the speed of speaking will change as your fluency increases. Whenever one starts learning a new language, native speakers seem to be speaking in a rapid torrent. As your own fluency grows, the speed of the native speakers will seem to slow. It is something to look forward to as a sign of progress in your grasp of the language. For example, after several years of teaching myself Hindi, I can now pretty much keep up with what native speakers are syaing. But because I've never learned any Telugu, when I watch "Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana" it seems incomprehensibly fast.

You sure have damn good insights for not being a teacher, Stuart. I'd hate to have to try to keep up with you after you get a couple of years of experience under your belt.

2. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina

Once, 8 years ago, I met some guys from GB at their military camp here in Bosnia.
    One of them, which was very young, 20 or 22 or so, told me something.

I had to have asked another one to translate for me. From English to English.

He did it.

The first one stood cool. No any signs of embarasment or something on his face was.

I had a wish to drop into the ground. What a shame!

I will never forget it.
    I've thought about that many times later on.

He was talking the way that he was saying the first few letters of every word but not the rest. Also it seemed to me he stepped over the complete words as well.

Today I would like to get into position to speak to a guy who would speak such way!

That was the right English actually.
    Last edited by e2e4; 07-Jul-2008 at 19:14.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

hi,
    if you can understand what they are saying I'd say that you have already achieved a lot.
    follow the advices that the teachers provided here and I am pretty sure you will be speaking a fluent English very soon.
    regards.