• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Arrow Difference between "between" and "among"

In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hi, in this quote: In order to understand human development we have to take into consideration the " transactional between and among individuals, their biological inner workings, and their social outer workings", please explain to me the difference between between and among, plus, do you think that the last two phrases in the mentioned series are like a clarification for the first one,
    transactional between..........
    Last edited by Egyption Arrow; 07-Jul-2008 at 00:21.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Re: Difference between "between" and "among"

Quote Originally Posted by Egyption Arrow View Post
    In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hi, in this quote: In order to understand human development we have to take into consideration the " transactional between and among individuals, their biological inner workings, and their social outer workings", please explain to me the difference between between and among, plus, do you think that the last two phrases in the mentioned series are like a clarification for the first one,
    transactional between..........
    I am just a student and I'll say what firstly comes to my mind, what is probably flat wrong.
    Between - when one individual relates to another one. The relationship that one has with someone else within the group.
    Among - the relationship that one has with the group where he/she is situated.
    Just a stupid opinion. Sorry.
    Regards.

Between = between two individuals; Among = among a group of individuals.

I think the two phrases are additional to "transactions" and extensions of types of transactions. [Is it "transactional" or "transactions"?]
    Last edited by Anglika; 07-Jul-2008 at 23:55.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Few conclusive words are yours, Anglika. Yes, its transactions, and not transactional. After surfing online dictionaries, I concluded that transaction is meant to be Communication involving two or more people that affects all those involved; personal interaction, and workings is functioning of something: the operation of something, or the way in which it operates. What do you think?Are they fit with the context?

Few conclusive words are yours, Anglika. Yes, its transactions, and not transactional. After surfing online dictionaries, I concluded that transaction is meant to be Communication involving two or more people that affects all those involved; personal interaction, and workings is functioning of something: the operation of something, or the way in which it operates. What do you think?Do they fit with the context?
    Yes, they do.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

When I asked: are they fit...? I used fit as an adjective. However, Anglika, changed the question to be: do they fit..? It seems like a rectify, but I think both are right, and you?

When I asked: are they fit...? I used fit as an adjective. However, Anglika, changed the question to be: do they fit..? It seems like a rectify, but I think both are right, and you?
    No.

Can they fit or Do they fit = are they right/suitable in this context.

Are they fit means something different = Are they in good physical health.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

I disagree with you, Anglika. Fit as an adjective means Suited, adapted, or acceptable for a given circumstance or purpose. Also, it means Appropriate; proper. And of course the meaning you've mentioned, Physically sound; healthy. Please, have a look at Search => [word] => fit :: 1828 Dictionary :: Search the 1828 Noah Webster's Dictionary of the English Language (FREE) :: 1828.mshaffer.com.
    After a good search, I concluded that the mistake was in the proposition I used with fit as an adjective. The question should be: are they fit for....? If we are going to use fit in the same meaning as a verb, we may use the same proposition "for" like this: do they fit for...? We can also say: do they fit in with....? Or: do they fit the....?
    Because I'm not a teacher, nor am I a native speaker, I ask you: am I right?

It is important to be clear as to what your meaning is.

Is the word fit for the meaning? Are these tools fit for the purpose?

In these sentences, "fit" is the adjective.

Do these words fit into the sentence? Can we fit this meaning to this word?

Here the word "fit" is the verb.

In your sentence: What do you think? Are they fit with the context? "Are they fit with..." is incorrect grammatically. "Do they fit the context?" is fine and "fit" is the verb; "Are they fit for the context?" is fine and "fit" is the adjective. So yes, the right preposition makes all the difference.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

I'm so lucky to have a teacher like you.