• Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

jetty/gangway

Hi,

Do you know the difference between a gangway and a jetty?

Thank you

Re: jetty/gangway

Quote Originally Posted by carla guaraldi View Post
    Hi,

Thank you
    Not really, Carla, and I'm too lazy to look them up. Having been raised way inland, I'm more of a landlubber. My guess is that a gangway is the sloped platform that people walk down to get off a ship. A jetty is a dock of some sort.

I'm sure there'll be someone along with more salt in their blood to help you, and me, out.

Quote Originally Posted by carla guaraldi View Post
    Hi,

Thank you
    You go up the gangway [or gangplank] to the jetty from a boat. A gangway is also the passage in the cinema between the blocks of seats, or a raised walkway.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    You go up the gangway [or gangplank] to the jetty from a boat. A gangway is also the passage in the cinema between the blocks of seats, or a raised walkway.
    The landlubber has a couple of queries.

Could one not also "go down the gangway [or gangplank] to the jetty from a boat"?

To me, a gangplank is a narrower version of a gangway. With the latter, you could walk up or down three abreast.

You can go up it or down it or across it or along it - however you wish to proceed.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

A gangway is also the passage in the cinema between the blocks of seats, or a raised walkway.
    That is also called an aisle which also refers to the passage between seats in a church or the walking space between shelves in a supermarket.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

gang O.E. gong "a going, journey, way, passage," and O.N. gangr "a group of men, a set," both from P.Gmc. *gangaz (noun of action related to *gangan "to go"), from PIE base *ghengh- "to step"" Gangway is O.E. gangweg "road, passage," and preserves the original sense of the word, as does gangplank (1846, Amer.Eng., replacing earlier gang-board).

From the Online Etymological Dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    A gangway is also the passage in the cinema between the blocks of seats, ... .
    I've never heard that word applied to this situation in NaE but perhaps there are places that it's used in this manner.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

We do use it sometimes here. Do you use 'gangway' as a way of asking people to get out of your way, especially when you are carrying something large?

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    We do use it sometimes here. Do you use 'gangway' as a way of asking people to get out of your way, especially when you are carrying something large?
    Absolutely, Tdol.

Gangway, we're coming thru. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that that's the way that the ship gangway got its name. It could have been quite a scramble when the gangway was set for a bunch of sea weary sailors.