• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

what's the difference?

Hello everyone

I'd like to ask what the difference is between "get hitched" and "take one's relationship to a new level of commitment":

Just as it is auspicious to get hitched this month, it is also a good time to take your relationship to a new level of commitment.

As far as I understand the sentence says that the month in question is favourable for two things -- getting hitched and taking one's relationship to a new level of commitment -- but I fail to understand the difference between them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

Re: what's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone

I'd like to ask what the difference is between "get hitched" and "take one's relationship to a new level of commitment":

Just as it is auspicious to get hitched this month, it is also a good time to take your relationship to a new level of commitment.

As far as I understand the sentence says that the month in question is favourable for two things -- getting hitched and taking one's relationship to a new level of commitment -- but I fail to understand the difference between them.
    (not a professional teacher) "get hitched" is a colloquial expression for "get married". Taking a relationship to a new level of commitment might mean[/i] getting married, or it might mean moving in together, pledging to fidelity, agreeing to make the relationship sexually exclusive, etc. So the two actions in the forecast are not necessarily one and the same thing.

Re: what's the difference?

Looks like one of those catch-all astrology pieces one finds in newspapers

They are very good at using phrases that can have more than one interpretation.