• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • Afghanistan

Please help me with some English exercises! Thanks!

Now I'm at a loss to do this exercise.
    I/ Rewrite the following sentences, using the words given. Do not alter these words:
    1. Mr Pat was completely shocked on hearing the bad news. (arms). -->.....................................
    2. Mrs Smith is on a diet and she eats very little. (birds). -->................................................. ........
    3.It's just possible the hotel may need more staff in the summer. (ruled) -->...................................
    4. The accused became very emotional. (overcome)-->................................................. ..............
    5. You look as if some thing unpleasant has happened to you.(wars) -->.......................................
    6. Only if you work hard now have you any chance of success. (depends) -->..............................
    II/ Rewrite the following sentences in such a way that they mean almost the same as the ones printed before them.
    1. She's successful and happy. --> She has .................................................. ......................................
    2. We have credited the money to your current account at this bank. --> We have placed....................
    3. I find it difficult to lace my shoes. -->I find it difficult to tie............................................... .................
    4. You pay $20 a month for a period of one year. --> You pay in twelve successive............................
    5. We have no option but to collect this license fee. --> The collection ...............................................
    6. Lately I have thought nothing but work. --> I have been rather............................................ ...........
    III/ Word formation.
    Thieves dressed as polic____________ guards at a Boston museum. (power)
    The answer provided to this is "overpowered". I don't understand why it must be "overpowered" in this context.
    I am looking forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.
    Thank you for your help.
    Yours faithfully
    Quan
    (If possible, please send your answer to my email address: (ngoanh_quan@yahoo.co.uk) Thanks very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Please help me with some English exercises! Thanks!

I
    2. Mrs Smith is on a diet and she eats like a bird.
    4. The accused became overcome with emotion.
    6. Your chance of success depends on how hard you work.
    II
    2. We have credited the money to your current account at this bank. --> We have placed the money in your account.
    3. I find it difficult to lace my shoes. -->I find it difficult to tie my shoes.
    4. You pay $20 a month for a period of one year. --> You pay in twelve successive instalments.
    5. We have no option but to collect this license fee. --> The collection of the license fee is our only option.
    6. Lately I have thought about nothing but work. --> I have been rather preoccupied with work lately.