Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 447
    #1

    where do vs where does

    1. where does those sessions take place?

    or

    2. where do those sessions take place?

    which one is correct?

    please let me know whetehr my following explanation is correct:

    for the first one: the question means that there is only one place

    for the second one: it means there are more than one place where the sessions are held

    am i right??

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #2

    Re: where do vs where does

    Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    1. where does those sessions take place?

    or

    2. where do those sessions take place?

    which one is correct?

    please let me know whetehr my following explanation is correct:

    for the first one: the question means that there is only one place

    for the second one: it means there are more than one place where the sessions are held

    am i right??
    No, the verb agrees with the subject, not with the object or complement.
    Your subject in both cases is the plural "Those sessions" and requires the plural form of the verb, "do".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 447
    #3

    Re: where do vs where does

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    No, the verb agrees with the subject, not with the object or complement.
    Your subject in both cases is the plural "Those sessions" and requires the plural form of the verb, "do".
    hmm.. so what about the verb 'take'? what is the subject of that verb mate?

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #4

    Re: where do vs where does

    Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    hmm.. so what about the verb 'take'? what is the subject of that verb mate?

    When there is an auxiliary verb "do" and an infinitive "take", it's the auxiliary that inflects.
    I do take
    He does take
    We do take
    etc.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 447
    #5

    Re: where do vs where does

    thnx mate:)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •