1. Natascha44

Question Poser

Hi,

My friend's boyfriend spoke to me online the other day and saw my display pictrue on msn messenger. He said ' I knew you were a poser', I asked him how he knew that he said 'from what he heard about me'

I am not a native english speaker but he is american. what does he mean by saying that he knew I was a poser and should I be offended?

Many Thanks
    Natascha

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

Re: Poser

Quote Originally Posted by Natascha44 View Post
    Hi,

My friend's boyfriend spoke to me online the other day and saw my display pictrue on msn messenger. He said ' I knew you were a poser', I asked him how he knew that he said 'from what he heard about me'

I am not a native english speaker but he is american. what does he mean by saying that he knew I was a poser and should I be offended?

Many Thanks
    Natascha

(not a professional teacher)"should I be offended" The short answer, vielleicht.

Here's the definition from the Oxford English Dictionary:

A person who poses; a poseur. and for poseur it gives this:

A person who deliberately adopts a particular attitude or pose; a person with an affected or pretentious style or demeanour. Cf.

The examples of usage in the OED are all uncomplimentary:

1869 Putnam's Mag. Apr. 409/1 This poseur came to harangue Barcelona. 1881 Contemp. Rev. May 683 The same womanish and uncontrolled poseur. 1887 Athenĉum 1 Jan. 34/1 The latest attitudes in literature, art, and politics are presented in a way to make poseurs of all sort either laugh or wince. 1930 G. B. SHAW Apple Cart 57 If you let yourself be beaten by that trickster and poseur, never dare to approach me again. 1977 Time 8 Aug. 46/3 But his life as self-styled genius and unrepentant poseur continues to tantalize. 1995 Maxim July 102 If you're a total poseur, then you should try a sun make-up product, which, applied carefully, can give you instant colour to disguise those sunglasses marks.