• Native Language:
      • Swahili
      • Home Country:
      • Congo
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

subject verb agreement- still haunts me

Hi,

I am confused with subject-verb agreement again here. I wrote sentence #1 given below, which was corrected by a native speaker to sentence #2.

Now I wish to use sentence #3 to explain my question. If ‘an easy profit’ , a singular noun phrase, in sentence #3 can apply to ‘businesses’ , a plural noun, why can’t ‘the per capita income’ apply to ‘countries’ in sentence #1?

1. For international comparison, the per capita income of countries is converted into a base currency.

2. For international comparison, the per capita income of a country is converted into a base currency.

3. If the price of a home computer in Bangladesh is far lower than that in France, businesses can ship computers from Bangladesh to France to make an easy profit.

Thanks,

MG.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: subject verb agreement- still haunts me

Quote Originally Posted by musicgold View Post
    Hi,
    I am confused with subject-verb agreement again here. I wrote sentence #1 given below, which was corrected by a native speaker to sentence #2.

Now I wish to use sentence #3 to explain my question. If ‘an easy profit’ , a singular noun phrase, in sentence #3 can apply to ‘businesses’ , a plural noun, why can’t ‘the per capita income’ apply to ‘countries’ in sentence #1?

1. For international comparison, the per capita income of countries is converted into a base currency.

2. For international comparison, the per capita income of a country is converted into a base currency.

3. If the price of a home computer in Bangladesh is far lower than that in France, businesses can ship computers from Bangladesh to France to make an easy profit.
    The correction of 1. to 2. has nothing to do with subject verb agreement. You corrector simple felt that a singular "company" was more appropriate in the context. The subject of "is" is "income".
    3. is correct. There are no verbs involved in your difficulties. You're wondering why businesses (plural noun) can make "an easy profit" (single noun phrase). This is quite normal in English:
    Lawyers make a good income.
    Grammar mistakes are a pain.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: subject verb agreement- still haunts me

I don't think that your version is wrong. It may have been a stylistic preference on the part of your NS, but it's not an error in my book.