1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Run Out

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE MEANING OF RUN OUT

I LIKE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT MEANS THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE

the run out are at both ends , and would be corrected by the finish machine as dia are much bigger then finish dimensions

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Run Out

Is it a leak?

Or are these tubes that carry liquid water away?

Quote Originally Posted by cele_sp View Post
    I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE MEANING OF RUN OUT

I LIKE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT MEANS THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE

the run out are at both ends , and would be corrected by the finish machine as dia [diameter ??] are much bigger [then] than finish dimensions
    I'm certainly not sure what this means, but if it referred to a liquid, Susie, wouldn't the verb be singular,

"the run out is at both ends ..."

More context would be really helpful, Cele. It might describe what happens in a machining cycle where as a piece is fed in and as the same piece leaves the machine, a portion of the material is not machined/planed properly. But this can be corrected in a later "machining" procedure because the material is left larger than the final finish dimensions.

Or, I'm completely out to lunch on this.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi cele_sp,

There are a few excerpts of different articles concerning the matter in question.

Screws are generally made from low to medium carbon steel wire, but other tough and inexpensive metals may be substituted, such as stainless steel, brass, nickel alloys, or aluminum alloy. Quality of the metal used is of utmost importance in order to avoid cracking. If a finish is applied to the screw, it must be of a compatible makeup. Steel may be coated or plated with zinc, cadmium, nickel, or chromium for extra protection.

Finally check the dimensions and machine it down to the correct size, ....

Face both ends, then bore or scrape and polish a tiny taper inside the outer end

After both ends are drilled and reamed, remove all sharp edges around the holes
    ... polished finish. The dimension of the minor diameter is not critical.

You need to polish the globe to a shiny smooth finish to get maximum .....
    it where left to run out to full speed. If you get a series would motor be sure ..

The fit and finish is very good right out of the box. .... Naturally, the runout
    will vary from machine to machine, so I wouldn't necessarily expect that ...

I think that in the present case “run out” = “wear out” = “wearing out”

The ends are worn out (threadbare) so they have to be corrected, because there is an apparent eccentricity and an intolerable runout (play, beating).

Lathe dogs will run out of balance a high RPM's anyway. ..... Make a casting and
    rough machine it, let it sit for a couple of months and finish it. ...

The only other problem would be if you did find a runout area right by the ..... in setup and in learning how to come into dimension AND have a good finish. ...

Regards

V.