Question teacher blacklists-- do they exist?

Everyone knows that ESL school blacklists are around. Just log onto TEFL blacklist.org .com or whatever.

What I want to know is whether the schools themselves keep their own blacklists of teachers.

If you have any info on this subject, let me know in a post or PM me at this board.

Re: teacher blacklists-- do they exist?

Quote Originally Posted by hinomura View Post
    Everyone knows that ESL school blacklists are around. Just log onto TEFL blacklist.org .com or whatever.

What I want to know is whether the schools themselves keep their own blacklists of teachers.

If you have any info on this subject, let me know in a post or PM me at this board.

I tried both your suggestions, Hinomura,

http://www.teflblacklist.org and https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...lblacklist.com

and I got nothing.

Wink Re: teacher blacklists-- do they exist?

That's because the real address is:

The TEFL Blacklist That's for the "angry ESL teachers who have said, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore" Sorry for the vagueness of my 1st post.

That said, there still is a real possibility that some of us may be on a blacklist passed around various schools.

Do YOU know anything about a list?

Re: teacher blacklists-- do they exist?

Quote Originally Posted by hinomura View Post
    That's because the real address is:

The TEFL Blacklist That's for the "angry ESL teachers who have said, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore" Sorry for the vagueness of my 1st post.

That said, there still is a real possibility that some of us may be on a blacklist passed around various schools.

Do YOU know anything about a list?
    This is the first I've ever heard about anything like this, Hinomura. I had 17 years in Japan with nary a hitch. But I'm sure, no, I know that there a lot of scummy people involved in teaching ESL around the world, both as teachers and language school owners.

It's a given when there's so little in the way of qualifications needed and some areas need teachers so badly. When I first got going at this, and I must admit I didn't have much experience then, but at least I cared enough to try to improve, there was a joke that any native speaker could get a job as long as they were still "a warm body".

Cool Re: teacher blacklists-- do they exist?

It all depend on which side of the ocean you are on.

In Asia, they can't get enough teachers, but in the U.S. I had a school owner tell me, "Finding teachers who will work for $17 an hour is no problem for us. The difficulty is finding teachers who will stay for more than a year at those wages."