Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Unregistered
    Guest
    #1

    Preposition usage of "at"

    Hello,
    In the sentence, "Were you at his house yesterday?" at is used to indicate location.

    Similarly, "Were you at home yesterday?" uses "at" to indicate location.

    However, the sentence "Were you home yesterday?" is also correct, but does not use the "at" preposition.

    Why?

    We cannot ommit "at" from the first sentence the same way.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 468
    #2

    Re: Preposition usage of "at"

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello,
    In the sentence, "Were you at his house yesterday?" at is used to indicate location.

    Similarly, "Were you at home yesterday?" uses "at" to indicate location.

    However, the sentence "Were you home yesterday?" is also correct, but does not use the "at" preposition.

    Why?

    We cannot ommit "at" from the first sentence the same way.
    "Home" can be used either as a noun as in "at home" or as an adverb as in your third sentence. To my understanding, when it is used as an adverb, it is equal in meaning to "at home".
    Richard

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #3

    Re: Preposition usage of "at"

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmyrichard View Post
    "Home" can be used either as a noun as in "at home" or as an adverb as in your third sentence. To my understanding, when it is used as an adverb, it is equal in meaning to "at home".
    Richard
    You are right, but most Brit. English speakers would not drop the "to". I think it is mainly a North American habit.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 468
    #4

    Re: Preposition usage of "at"

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    You are right, but most Brit. English speakers would not drop the "to". I think it is mainly a North American habit.
    Sorry, you got me confused. I read those three sentences again and found no "to" in them. I guess you meant "at". Right? Sometimes we all make unintentional mistakes.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #5

    Re: Preposition usage of "at"

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmyrichard View Post
    Sorry, you got me confused. I read those three sentences again and found no "to" in them. I guess you meant "at". Right? Sometimes we all make unintentional mistakes.
    Oops, sorry, yes I meant "at".

Similar Threads

  1. preposition usage
    By vscid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Mar-2008, 05:04
  2. Preposition Usage
    By nyoung2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Jan-2008, 08:40
  3. Re: Usage of certain very common words
    By Dinesh Boudh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2007, 21:23
  4. Usage of "on" and "at"
    By jerry in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-Jan-2007, 05:01

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •