• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

conditional form

Can you help me to express the following sentence more naturally? Thanks always!

1. If the tuition were rasied, I would oppose tuition increase by protesting to the school principle.

2.If today were Tuesday, I would be seeing a dentist( or I would go to see a dentist)

3, If I were given a chance to make the decision again, I would choose to attend the differnt school because I want to experience new things.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: conditional form

1. If the tuition were rasied, I would oppose the increase by protesting to the school principal.

Spelling trick
    The principal is your "pal".
    2. If today were Tuesday, I would be at the dentist('s (office)).

3. If given a second chance, I would choose/have chosen a school where I could experienced new things.

Re: conditional form

1. If the tuition were raised, I would oppose tuition increase by protesting to the school principle.

2.If today were Tuesday, I would be seeing a dentist( or I would go to see a dentist)

3, If I were given a chance to make the decision again, I would choose to attend the different school because I want to experience new things.

1. You must consider there is a real possibility of this rise going ahead, as you have a plan to counter its introduction. Therefore:
    "If tuition was raised, I would oppose the increase by protesting to the school principal."

Note: 'the' before 'tuition' depends on the context. I would omit it here. Even in the construction, "If (the) tuition fees were raised...." it is optional, (but the verb automatically becomes 'were' !)

2. At least one day of the week, 'today' is indeed 'Tuesday', and so inevitably, that appointment will come. Hence,
    "If today was Tuesday, ..."
    The point is not that a Wednesday can't possibly be a Tuesday, but that Tuesday will indeed come.

3, If you decided to use the expanded version :
    If I were given a second chance,... "
    Then the choice of 'was' or 'were' would indicate your sense of possibility of this actually occurring, or politeness of your request.

No hope - the decision was made in the past and can't be changed/that part of your life is over and past, leaving you with regrets:
    If I were given...

When making a polite request to some authority to give you this second chance:
    "If I were given..."

But discussing your options with a friend, and your intended appeal for this second chance, you might well say, hoping against hope:
    "If I was given..."
    Last edited by David L.; 10-Jul-2008 at 15:28.