• Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

To Uni/to the Uni?

Hi,

Can someone please tell me what I should ask my class mate?

Are you going to Uni?

Are you going to the Uni?

I want to know if "the" is needed here? As an English learner, I've learnt when we talk about specific things, we use "the". But I have mostly heard people say the first one (to Uni.).

Re: To Uni/to the Uni?

Are you going to Uni?

Are you going to the Uni?

I've learnt when we talk about specific things, we use "the"

Right. So then what would be the difference in meaning if somebody said 'to uni' and 'to the Uni' ? What would they be actually asking?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Right. So then what would be the difference in meaning if somebody said 'to uni' and 'to the Uni' ? What would they be actually asking?
    I guess when we want to know if someone is studying at Uni, we don't need "the"; and when we want know if someone is attending the classes at his Uni, we need "the". For example, if I am not going to my Uni and want to know if my class mate is going or not, I must say "Are you going to the Uni.?", since I am talking about a specific Uni. But the question is He and I study at the same University so is it necessary to use "the". I think without using the it is obvious which University I mean.

Please tell me what I should say.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Nutty View Post
    I guess when we want to know if someone is studying at Uni, we don't need "the"; and when we want know if someone is attending the classes at his Uni, we need "the". For example, if I am not going to my Uni and want to know if my class mate is going or not, I must say "Are you going to the Uni.?", since I am talking about a specific Uni. But the question is He and I study at the same University so is it necessary to use "the". I think without using the it is obvious which University I mean.

If it is said to someone who is a classmate at the same University, then you can drop the article as it will be obvious which Uni you are talking about. In general though you should use it in the specific case.

I guess when we want to know if someone is studying at Uni, we don't need "the";

Right. So I might ask someone, "Do you go to uni?" I am not referring to any specific university, just asking him if he attends any university in the country/the world.

and when we want know if someone is attending the classes at his Uni, we need "the". For example, if I am not going to my Uni and want to know if my class mate is going or not, I must say "Are you going to the Uni.?", since I am talking about a specific Uni.

It might seem so. So – here is one more rule for you to understand !

The definite article is not used in prepositional phrases that refer to institutions as opposed to particular places. So – we say:
    ‘go to school’
    ‘he has gone to church’
    ‘I’ll have my day in court!’
    ‘go to college’
    ‘go to university’
    ‘he was taken to hospital’ except in America – they all seem to say ‘going to/taken to the hospital’. Maybe there’s something to do with their health system about this!

So you would ask your friend, "Are you going into uni. today?" However, you would use the definite article if you were specifically referring to the university, as in "The university is holding its graduation ceremonies earlier this year."
    Last edited by David L.; 10-Jul-2008 at 20:24.

I guess when we want to know if someone is studying at Uni, we don't need "the";

That's right, Mr N. Are you at university? Do you go to university?

and when we want know if someone is attending the classes at his Uni, we need "the".

Here, we'd use 'the' to distinguish it from another institution. "Do you go to the university?", as opposed to the junior college/school of nursing.

For example, if I am not going to my Uni and want to know if my class mate is going or not, I must say "Are you going to the Uni.?", since I am talking about a specific Uni.

But the question is He and I study at the same University so is it necessary to use "the". I think without using the it is obvious which University I mean.

Here, I don't believe it's so much because the university is specific. It's to distinguish it from any other specific places. If your roommate is going out, you would ask,

Are you going to the mall/the uni/the movies/the grocery store/the laundry/the convenience store/the gas station/the park/the public library/the court house/City Hall/the lake/...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    If it is said to someone who is a classmate at the same University, then you can drop the article as it will be obvious which Uni you are talking about. In general though you should use it in the specific case.
    Okay, and what if we study at different universities and I want to know if he is going or not? Won't it be obvious in that case also?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    and when we want know if someone is attending the classes at his Uni, we need "the". For example, if I am not going to my Uni and want to know if my class mate is going or not, I must say "Are you going to the Uni.?", since I am talking about a specific Uni.

It might seem so. So – here is one more rule for you to understand !

The definite article is not used in prepositional phrases that refer to institutions as opposed to particular places. So – we say:
    ‘go to school’
    ‘he has gone to church’
    ‘I’ll have my day in court!’
    ‘go to college’
    ‘go to university’
    ‘he was taken to hospital’ except in America – they all seem to say ‘going to/taken to the hospital’. Maybe there’s something to do with their health system about this!

Thank you for telling me this rule, David. I didn't really know it. Thank you very much!

So you would ask your friend, "Are you going into uni. today?" However, you would use the definite article if you were specifically referring to the university, as in "The university is holding its graduation ceremonies earlier this year."
    I want to know if he's going to Uni these days. Is it necessary to say "these days" at the end?

May I please know the difference between "going into Uni" and "going to Uni"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Here, I don't believe it's so much because the university is specific. It's to distinguish it from any other specific places. If your roommate is going out, you would ask,

Are you going to the mall/the uni/the movies/the grocery store/the laundry/the convenience store/the gas station/the park/the public library/the court house/City Hall/the lake/...
    Ahan. I quite understand it now. Thanks very much for dropping in the post and nailing my confusion.

From your explanation, can I conclude that if I am chilling out of Uni at an eatery with my class mates in the recess and suddenly one of my class mates stands up and gets going somewhere, I would ask, "Are you going to the Uni?"
    Last edited by Mister Nutty; 10-Jul-2008 at 21:06.

Ahan. I quite understand it now. Thanks very much for dropping in the post and nailing my confusion.

From your explanation, can I conclude that if I am chilling out of Uni at an eatery with my class mates in the recess and suddenly one of my class mates stands up and gets going somewhere, I [would] could ask, "Are you going to the Uni?"
    You could ask that if you thought he was going to the university, MrN, and you would use 'the'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast