Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. confused student

Question difference between disappointed and disappointing

Dear teachers,
    My teacher marked it wrong for my sentence below. She said the right word should have been " disappointing " not " disappointed. Is this true ?

My sentence : The film was not very good. I was disappointed.
    My teacher's sentence : The film was not very good. I was disappointing.

At the end of her correction, she wrote a comment : " Excellent try" . Is this correct ?
    Can we say " an excellent try " ?

Re: difference between disappointed and disappointing

My teacher marked my sentence below as wrong. She said the right word should have been " disappointing " not " disappointed'. Is this true ?

CORRECT
    My teacher's sentence : The film was not very good. It was disappointing.

Perhaps your teacher took it that as you are talking about the film in the first of the two sentences - 'the film was not very good' - that it was expected that the second sentence was a continuation of this - 'the film was disappointing'

At the end of her correction, she wrote a comment : " Excellent try" . Is this correct ?
    Yes

But it was more than a 'try' - a native speaker would have said just what you wrote!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Confused student, tell your teacher that "I was disappointed (in the quality of the film/movie)" is a common English expression. Tell her I said so.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by confused student View Post
    Dear teachers,
    My teacher marked it wrong for my sentence below. She said the right word should have been " disappointing " not " disappointed. Is this true ?

My teacher's sentence : The film was not very good. I was disappointing.

Your sentences are correct if you did not make a mistake in copying them and your teacher's revision, but still I would suggest you combine them to make it sound natural. I mean these two sentences may be reorganized as follows:
    I was disappointed that the film was not very good.

As for your teacher's comment, of course "try" can be used as a noun. But I'm not sure whether native speaker teachers comment on their students' essays or sentences this way.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Confused student, tell your teacher that "I was disappointed (in the quality of the film/movie)" is a common English expression. Tell her I said so.

Your tone of voice is really interesting. It seems that you look down upon this teacher, but who hasn't ever made a mistake? You speak with an air of authority. Yes, I admit you native speakers are authorities in terms of English usage. I'm not criticizing you. I just find it interesting. I should also say thank you to you, who are ready to help us, who come to this forum for solutions. Thanks.
    Richard

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyrichard View Post
    Your tone of voice is really interesting. It seems that you look down upon this teacher, but who hasn't ever made a mistake? You speak with an air of authority. Yes, I admit you native speakers are authorities in terms of English usage. I'm not criticizing you. I just find it interesting. I should also say thank you to you, who are ready to help us, who come to this forum for solutions. Thanks.
    Richard
    It is not a question of looking down on a teacher, but one of supporting a student who was correct and was marked as wrong.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Tell your teacher that the sentence would have been correct if you had acted in the film.

The film was not very good. I was disappointing.
    not a teacher
    Last edited by tedtmc; 12-Jul-2008 at 08:45.

RonBee & ohmyrichard:

That was the first time I have seen you, Ron, come even close to a criticism, and you draw rapid-fire comment ! I hope this does not deter you.
    Boy, you should have seen my opening sentence about the teacher, with further use of the word 'disappointing' ! I decided to delete.

ohmyrichard: it is not that someone makes a mistake, but that someone purporting to teach English seems to have such unfamiliarity with the simplest of expressions as to mark a student incorrect and then add insult to injury by calling the student's work 'an excellent try'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    RonBee & ohmyrichard:

That was the first time I have seen you, Ron, come even close to a criticism, and you draw rapid-fire comment ! I hope this does not deter you.
    Somebody missed my emoticon. When somebody comes on the forum and says their teacher said something that I know is wrong I will point out that it is wrong. There is no point in beating around the bush about it. (My criticism was not directed toward anybody on the forum, however "arrogant" it might have appeared to be.) I don't think I'm arrogant about being a native speaker. After all, that is something that just happened; I had no control over it. (If I had any control over my birth circumstances I might have chosen to be born rich. ) What being a native speaker does do is give me knowledge of what expressions are likely to be used in certain circumstances. As a comment on one's own performance, "I was disappointing" is pretty far down the list. Possibilities:
    I did badly.
    I stunk.
    I bombed.
    I showed up, and things went downhill from there.
    When I finished, everybody applauded because they were glad it was over.
    Everybody was expecting a speaker and then I showed up.
    I am disappointed in my performance.
    I stunk up the place.
    I went and got drunk afterwards. If I had gotten drunk beforehand I might have done better.
    You get the idea.

(My criticism was not directed toward anybody on the forum, however "arrogant" it might have appeared to be.

Now I'm confused - I thought we were talking about confused student's teacher.
    I can live with it. Least said, soonest mended.

(I myself reserve the right to continue being crotchety in my quest for 'curmudgeon' status, as befits my advancing years.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast